ACC announces return to North Carolina in 2019 after 2-year stint at Barclays Center

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Thursday that its tournament will return to North Carolina for the 2019 and 2020 seasons, just a day after officially announcing its two-year move to Brooklyn, N.Y., starting in 2017.

The ACC tournament will be played at Barclays Center in 2017 and 2018 before moving to Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, N.C., for 2019 and back to the Greensboro Coliseum in 2020 after a rare four-year hiatus.

“Some of the greatest chapters of ACC tournament’s 61-year history have been written in these two cities, and we are proud to continue that tradition in Charlotte and Greensboro,” ACC commissioner John Swofford said at a press conference in Greensboro, N.C., on Thursday. “Both cities are terrific hosts for our schools, fans and teams, with top-notch facilities and hospitality.”

Syracuse played in its first ACC tournament this season in Greensboro and will return to the Coliseum for next year’s tournament, but after next season the Orange won’t be in Greensboro for the following four years — where teams such as North Carolina, North Carolina State and Duke enjoy a level of home-court advantage. Greensboro Coliseum will host the tournament again in 2015, but the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C., will host in 2016 before it moves to Brooklyn for two years.

Greensboro has hosted 25 of the last 48 ACC tournaments. Charlotte, which has hosted 12 at three different venues, has hosted the second most in that time frame.

“As we look ahead, this continues to be an exciting time for our conference,” Swofford said. “The variety of future locations of the ACC tournament reflects our conference’s expanded footprint and will service our teams, schools, alumni and fan bases well.”