Pulp

“Whipping Man” explores cross-cultural borders, reflects on past

Courtesy of Michael Davis

Jonathan Peck (Simon) and Biko Eisen-Martin (John) in the Syracuse Stage production of The Whipping Man.

As Black History Month begins, Syracuse Stage is presenting a striking drama for races and religions. “The Whipping Man” offers a refreshing perspective on United States history and the discussion of slavery with an unexpected cultural juxtaposition.

In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, confederate Jewish soldier Caleb (Gregory Perri) returns home to Richmond, Va. severely wounded. Upon arrival, he finds his once grand home is in equally bad shape. Its contents, save for a few bottles of whiskey, have mostly been looted and its only remaining residents are two former slaves: Simon and John.

Stuck in the house with only each other, the trio reflects on the war, their past and what lies ahead. Their very different life philosophies become apparent as the plot thickens, but moments of shared history and solidarity shine through as well.

Timothy Bond, the producing artistic director of Syracuse Stage, directed the show. When he welcomed the audience before the performance, his excitement and personal investment in the production were even more apparent than usual. His passion for the play brought it to life.

Matthew Lopez, the playwright, chose to have Simon and John adopt Caleb’s family’s Jewish religion, just as many slaves adopted Christianity from their masters. Such a situation is rarely historically considered, but it serves to allow for a fresh examination of the time period, especially because of Judaism’s focus on questioning and discussion.

At one point in the show, Simon talks about how questions build a person’s faith, rather than diminish it. He explains his view that God leaves a person not because he does not have answers, but because the person has stopped asking questions. Such gems as these popped up frequently throughout the play and pulled a few “aaahs” from the audience with their profundity.

As the son of Puerto Rican, Russian and Polish Civil War re-enactors, Lopez knows about the mixing of cultures and United States history. His vision for “The Whipping Man” came from a realization that Passover began the day after Emancipation in 1865.

“I love the use of Passover as one giant metaphor [for freedom],” he said, according to the show’s program.

Lopez’s unique story is all the more impressive considering “The Whipping Man” was the first play he ever wrote. In the past few years it has become one of the most performed shows in the United States.

Still a young man when he wrote the play, Lopez described identifying with the youthful restlessness of John. Biko Eisen-Martin brought him to life, creating an angry, searching character with a propensity for drinking whiskey straight from the bottle.

As a father figure to John, Simon tries to reign in some of his impulsiveness. Jonathan Peck — stern and magnanimous in equal measure — portrayed him wonderfully.

Perri was present on stage for the entirety of the show as a result of his character’s injury. With only four complete scene breaks and a tiny cast, the play gave the actors — especially Perri — nowhere to hide.

All three did an admirable job of keeping things together. The performance was not without breaks in momentum or slightly awkward transitions, but overall the cast was terrific. Perhaps later shows will be even smoother when opening night jitters have dispersed.

The play’s essence and Lopez’s true brilliance are fully realized in the Passover Seder scene toward the end of the performance. Simon, Caleb and John come together over a makeshift table-setting to carry out the yearly tradition as best they can.

The scene provides audiences with a beautiful representation of how people take comfort in ritual and celebrate hope and freedom together.

With “The Whipping Man,” Syracuse Stage builds on what has already been a season of cross-cultural exploration, with past events showcasing everywhere from the Middle East to China. The theater offers up not only productions of excellent quality, but also an environment in which Syracuse residents can expand their worldviews and reflect on beliefs and culture.