Culture

Wardrobe Wednesday: Bryan Chou

Ousman Diallo | Staff photographer

Bryan Chou, senior advertising major, uses a mix of dressy and casual in his everyday outfits.

Bryan Chou, a senior advertising major, said he does not dress like the typical American college student, which he’s described as either casual or preppy. He notices that half of the students wear Timberland boots and relaxed clothing, and the rest wear Vineyard Vines shirts and tailored pants.

Chou says he falls somewhere in between the two extremes — he doesn’t dress himself entirely in Brooks Brothers, but he doesn’t dress down either.

“I believe guys can look nice without wearing ties and button downs. Price doesn’t equal taste,” Chou said.  He explained that there is no need to break the bank to create a fashionable wardrobe. Many people dress well while managing to shop at less pricey stores, he added.

Rather, Chou said the best way for people to look their best is by choosing clothes they feel comfortable in. Still, he says it’s a good rule of thumb to dress every day as if you might meet your future employer.

Chou also believes he dresses differently from the majority of college students because of how much traveling he has done through the years — by exploring the world, he has also explored many different style options.

Wearing socks from Tokyo, a necklace from Paris, bracelets from South Africa and a scarf and winter coat from a Burberry store in London, Chou incorporates his treasured souvenirs into his outfits.

Chou has also traveled around areas of China, Australia, Spain and the United Arab Emirates. He said that his ability to travel to a wide variety of countries has enabled him to see the fashions of all unique parts of the world. His trips to different continents are his main style inspiration.

Looking nice does not require spending vast amounts of money on clothes, nor does it mean you have to conform your style to the people surrounding you. As Chou says, mix it up, feel comfortable and you will undoubtedly look good.