New Syracuse Stadium

Stadium plans have yet to emerge, task force has yet to meet

Uncertainty still surrounds the immediate plans of Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Stadium Task Force.

Miner announced the 24 members of the task force in a press release on Jan. 28. The group’s objective is to study the potential effects of a proposed sports stadium in Syracuse, an idea that public officials began discussing in early January.

However, the task force has not met yet and the group’s focus is still unclear, said George Curry, a task force member and professor emeritus at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry.

“I presume the mayor will want the group to address the questions she has raised about the project, but she could ask the group to look at other issues,” Curry said in an email.

Since the task force hasn’t convened yet, Curry said the procedures and processes going forward haven’t been outlined.

Other members involved in the task force include Governor Andrew Cuomo, Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney and Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud.

The Post-Standard reported on Jan. 28 that none of those three had confirmed an interest in participating on the task force. They also have the option of designating someone else to participate on their behalf.

Kevin Quinn, SU’s senior vice president for public affairs, did not respond to three emails regarding the task force.

Common Councilors Pamela Hunter, Helen Hudson and Chad Ryan also did not respond to emails inquiring about the task force.

Miner originally announced her plan for the task force during her Jan. 23 State of the City address.