Pair of SU alumni earn Oscar nominations

Two Syracuse University alumni, Chris Renaud and Craig Borten, are getting recognized for their storytelling with “Despicable Me 2” and “Dallas Buyers Club,” respectively, at this weekend’s Academy Awards ceremony. Renaud is the co-director of the animated feature film, while Borten was nominated for his original screenplay, “Dallas Buyers Club.”

In 1989, Renaud graduated from the College of Visual and Performing Arts with a bachelor of fine arts in illustration. In and out of the classroom, Renaud is remembered by his professors as someone who worked hard to use every opportunity to learn more about his craft. Robert Dacey, an illustration professor at SU, had Renaud as a student.

“What I remember about Chris was that he used to pick me up from the airport outside of class time. He was steady,” Dacey said. “He worked hard to gain information beyond the classroom. He took it to his advantage.”

Following his time at SU, Renaud went into graphic design, before diving into filmmaking full-speed.

His career boasts numerous producing, directing, acting and writing positions in Hollywood. At the forefront is his work with the 2012 film Dr. Seuss’ “The Lorax” and 2010’s “Despicable Me.” He was nominated for an Academy Award for his work on “Despicable Me 2,” which he co-directed with Pierre Coffin.

“Despicable Me 2” follows where the original left off, but this time the main character, Gru (Steve Carell), is pulled out of the semi-normal life he had created for himself in order to track down a new super villain for the “Anti-Villain League.” The entire cast is back, but this time with a slew of new characters as well.

But Renaud isn’t the only SU alum up for an Oscar this year.

Craig Borten, an 1987 SU political science major, and writing partner Melisa Wallack produced the screenplay for “Dallas Buyers Club,” the 2013 biographical, historical and drama film starring Matthew McConaughey. The academy nominated Borten for best original screenplay, but “Dallas Buyers Club” was also nominated for best picture.

“Dallas Buyers Club” depicts the life of Ron Woodroof, electrician and hustler, whose life was turned upside down after he was diagnosed HIV positive and given 30 days to live. Woodroof goes on a quest to find therapy medicines from Mexico to bring back to America.

“It was a 20-year journey,” Borten said of writing the screenplay. “I read an article about (Ron Woodroof) and I was blown away. Everything I knew at the time about mainstream AIDS was the different than the article.”

Although Borten majored in political science while at SU, Michael Schoonmaker, chair of the television, radio and film department at SU, said that he wasn’t surprised that Borten made the switch.

“A good story is a good story. You don’t have to have a degree to be a successful screenwriter,” Schoonmaker said. “If you’re smart enough to recognize it, you got it. People from many different viewpoints come together to make a film.”

Twenty-six years later, both Borten and Renaud are still giving back to the SU community.

Over the past winter break, TRF graduate students went on their benchmark trip to Los Angeles, which assistant television, radio and film professor Keith Giglio described as “going behind the gates of Oz.” On the trip, students got to meet with several Hollywood screenwriters, producers and directors, among others. Borten was in attendance.

Several graduate students on the trip described Borten as really friendly and laid-back. Borten met with the graduate students to offer advice and guidance.

“One of our classmates asked him a question about writing for recognition or writing for the heart. (Borten) said he writes what’s in his heart, he wanted to share it,” said TRF graduate student Brenda Palmer. “He sat on (the screenplay) for 20 years, believed in it so much. He didn’t give up on it.”

Renaud also continues to maintain a presence on the SU campus through his fund, the Chris and Lauren Renaud Fund for Illustration, which helps students travel for educational purposes and for industry immersion in the illustration field. His funds have been used thus far to finance five such trips for SU students.

Said Dacey: “It’s really easy to not look back but to only be looking forward. (Renaud’s) looking back at the university and giving back in a very direct way. He’s giving other students the chances that he sees is needed through his own experiences.”