Culture

Chill-minded: Winterfest brings entertainment for children, adults to downtown Syracuse beginning this weekend

Since 1985, Syracuse has held Winterfest in the downtown section of the city. This year, the festival will take place for 11 days.

This event is a tradition that unites the community in addition to giving a taste of Onondaga County to non-natives.

“I have people coming up from Virginia and Pennsylvania, people coming up from Canada, even from California,” said Bill Cooper, the president of Syracuse Winterfest and a former Syracuse University professor.

On Thursday, the opening day of 2014’s Winterfest, Destiny USA will host a colorful fireworks display at 8 p.m. Following that, multiple musicians will play at a variety of locations across Syracuse, such as the Noisy Boys from 9 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. at Coleman’s Authentic Irish Pub.

Cooper said the cornhole tournament on Sunday is one of the biggest events of the weekend in terms of participation. This beanbag tossing competition will take place from noon to 4 p.m. at East Water Street in Hanover Square, with registration starting at 10 a.m. The top four teams will receive prizes.

Cooper added that, “most of the events during the week are geared toward the children because they are home for winter break.” However, there are many events for a variety of people.

For the cooking connoisseur, the festival’s signature event, according to the Winterfest website, the Chili Cook-off, will take place on Feb. 22, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Hanover Square. The cook-off is open to restaurants and organizations to see who can cook up the best chili in town. If the chili doesn’t keep folks warm, then the 15-minute Zumba workout at 2 p.m. — while the chili is judged — just might.

The Hurricane Mix-Off, from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday Feb. 15 at Hanover Square, allows participating restaurants to faceoff to see who has the best drink recipe in Syracuse. A Martini Mix-Off will occur simultaneously, and on the following Saturday, there will be a Cosmopolitan Mix-Off, conducted in the same fashion, from noon to 4 p.m.

Music lovers are also in for a treat: each day of the festival, there will be musical performances taking place at multiple venues, including Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and the Westcott Theater.

Both this weekend and next, Price Chopper will be sponsoring an array of events for children at City Hall Commons in an area named the “Kids Express.” Activities include balloon animals and temporary tattoos. The Face Paint Lady, an award-winning artist, will be in attendance. There will also be a model train exhibit and historic images of Syracuse when it was known as “The City with Trains in the Streets.”

In conjunction with these events, the Syracuse Media Group will host its 27th annual Treasure Hunt. From Thursday through Feb. 23, they will be posting clues online on social media and in print for participants to find a medallion hidden somewhere in Onondaga County. The winner of the treasure hunt receives $1,000 and if they’re a Post-Standard subscriber, the prize is doubled.

Winterfest offers 11 action-packed days of entertainment for patrons of all interests and schedules. Participants will have the opportunity to go to iconic restaurants, bars and locations that contribute to Syracuse’s identity.

Said Cooper: “Enjoy your surrounding town and have a good time.”