Recruiting

3-star wideout Ishmael verbally commits to Syracuse, pads impressive group of receivers

Courtesy of The Miami Herald

Steve Ishmael had 63 catches for 978 yards and 17 touchdowns during his senior season at North Miami Beach High School.

Three-star wide receiver Steve Ishmael verbally committed to Syracuse on Tuesday, he confirmed in a text message to The Daily Orange.

Ishmael, from North Miami Beach (Fla.) High School, also had offers from Boston College, Louisville, Cincinnati, Illinois, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Nebraska, Tennessee and West Virginia.

“I chose Syracuse because my relationship with Coach McDonald and Shafer is right,” Ishmael said Tuesday night.

The receiver also said that the chance to play with good friend Alin Edouard — a three-star quarterback commit from the Miami (Fla.) area — led him to choose SU.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound wide receiver had 63 catches for 978 yards and 17 touchdowns during his senior season in North Miami Beach, according to SouthFloridaHighSchoolSports.com.

Ishmael visited the Orange on the weekend of Jan. 17 and attended SU’s basketball game against Pittsburgh. After his visit, he called Syracuse his “No. 1.” He had also visited the Bearcats, Fighting Illini and Cardinals, according to Scout.com.

Ishmael becomes the 23rd member of the Class of 2014 and the third wide receiver. He is ranked as the 86th-best wideout in the Class of 2014 and joins a group of impressive offensive weapons.

K.J. Williams is a four-star wide receiver — SU’s first four-star commit since Ashton Broyld and Ron Thompson two years ago — and is the highest rated recruit in the class. He chose the Orange after narrowing his decision to Syracuse and Michigan.

Corey Cooper is a three-star receiver who took a prep year at Jireh (Matthews, N.C.) Prep before enrolling this spring.

The trio of wideouts are joined by a pair of big-target tight ends.

6-foot-6, 225-pound Jamal Custis, who was originally recruited as a receiver on Scout, has a listed 40-yard dash time of 4.37. 6-foot-4, 215-pound Adley Enoicy, who committed to the Orange on Sunday, is also listed as a tight end and received offers from Auburn, Miami (Fla.), Florida and Florida State, among other top schools.

Wednesday is National signing day and these players, as well as the rest of SU’s verbal commitments, are expected to sign their letters of intent.