Wardrobe Wednesday

Wardrobe Wednesday: Cartier Sims

Ousman Diallo | Contributing photographer

Cartier Sims, a senior information management and technology major, is wearing a pair of Oliver Peoples sunglasses, with a print button-up shirt he bought from a Korean online retailer. His boots are from Zara.

Cartier Sims, a senior information management and technology major, incorporates places he’s traveled to, television shows he watches and music he listens to into his daily style to make his wardrobe fit his fresh tastes.

Sims, wearing a brightly colored scarf from Brazil, has traveled to Brazil, Tokyo and London and said that he has learned a lot from foreign fashion trends.

“I studied in London for a summer and I noticed how men over there cuff their pants and button the top buttons on their dress shirts. Ever since, I’ve done the same,” he said.

One of Sims’ favorite brands is Billionaire Boys Club, Pharrell Williams’ clothing line. He added that visiting the store in Tokyo was a breakthrough moment for developing his sense of style.

“I went to Japan for 14 days, and it was there that I really started getting into fashion. I wanted to buy everything at the BBC, ” Sims said. “It was in Tokyo that I started realizing that I should dress the way I want — clean and consistent.”

Sims refuses to look grungy and admits that he is polished from head to toe. He likes his pants tailored, his shirts ironed and his face cleanly shaven.

He also believes it’s important to have staple pieces that can make everyday outfits one of a kind. For example, he said he is known for always wearing stylish sunglasses. He is wearing Oliver Peoples, his favorite eyewear brand next to Warby Parker and Paul Smith.

He also credits a lot of his style influences to pop culture.

“I would have no style if it wasn’t for hip-hop,” Sims said.  “What I’m wearing is the same as the music I’m listening to.” He added that some of his favorite albums include Jay Z’s “The Black Album,” and Kanye West’s “The College Dropout” and “Late Registration.”

“I wouldn’t say I dress like Kanye West, but I think it’s cool how he brought prep back to rap. He never wears baggy stuff, and I’m the same way,” he said.

Sims also said he was inspired by “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” at a young age.

He has always admired how Will Smith dressed, especially in the 90s. Sims sometimes imitates Smith’s colored windbreakers, even today.