Thirsty Thursday

Thirsty Thursday: Harpoon Brewery Chocolate Stout

Nicole Abrams | Contributing Photographer

The Harpoon Brewery Chocolate Stout has a subtle chocolate taste that lingers for longer than expected.

I have never been a huge fan of stout beers. I know this may sound like heresy to some, but my first experience with Guinness turned me off to stouts and before this week, I can’t remember the last time I drank one.

This time around I crafted my own six-pack from Wegmans’ “create-your-own six-pack” offer, focusing my efforts on diversifying my selection.

The Harpoon Chocolate Stout stood out right away.

I recognized the Boston-based brewery’s name and was intrigued by both the bottle’s label and the idea of a chocolate stout.

After pouring it into a tall, Guinness pint glass, I was a little thrown by the lack of any foam head the Harpoon Chocolate Stout had, but this is typical for stouts.

I took my first sip and was impressed right away. Obviously, I anticipated a chocolate taste but I also expected to be turned off by the malty taste that accompanies most stout beers. The chocolate aroma was very present, as was the taste. But, for a flavored beer, both were subtle.

The chocolate taste actually lingered for a considerable amount of time, but not in a bad way. I noticed hints of coffee in the taste and a good balance between the chocolate taste and the maltiness of the Harpoon Chocolate Stout.

The beer left little traces of film on the side of the glass as I continued to drink it, again contradicting my experiences with more hoppy beers. I’m happy to report that my venture with this stout gave me hope that I can expand my palette beyond the scope of India Pale Ales.

The most significant thing about my experience with Harpoon Brewery’s Chocolate Stout is that it reminded me that the biggest players in the game, for example Guinness’ presence as one of the most popular stout beers, aren’t necessarily the best representation of a particular type of beer.

Now, I just have to try to find a porter beer that I can enjoy and I’ll be convinced that anything is possible.