Pulp

Thirsty Thursday: 312 Urban Wheat Ale

Nicole Abrams | Contributing Writer

The Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale offers a lighter option to heavy stout drinks.

Last week’s heavy chocolate stout was satisfying, but this week I wanted to try a lighter beer.

I chose Goose Island’s 312 Urban Wheat Ale mostly because of its eye-catching label, but I was also swayed in its direction because Goose Island is based in Baldwinsville, N.Y.

I poured the 312 Urban Wheat Ale into my trusty pint glass and I was struck right away by the amount of bubbles and carbonation. There were so many bubbles fizzing upon pouring the beer into the glass that I almost felt like I had just poured Red Bull into a glass of vodka — it was that intense.

The beer was a pale golden color and produced an off-white foamy head, but it dissipated pretty quickly. The bubbles eventually flattened as well, but not before I took my first sip.

I’ve got to be honest — at first the taste reminded me of Bud Light. I really had no expectations for the 312 Urban Wheat Ale. Maybe I have become too used to heavier, loud-tasting beers. Ironically, the subtlety of this beer was the first thing I noticed.

Then I snapped out of it and realized that being a lighter beer doesn’t automatically put Goose Island’s 312 Urban Wheat Ale in the same category as Bud Light or, worse, Pabst Blue Ribbon. I grew to enjoy the taste more as I continued drinking.

There was a faint orange taste that lingered for several seconds after each sip and this was the main draw to the 312 Urban Wheat Ale that distinguished it from its cheaper and mass-produced counterparts.

It also didn’t taste too watered down which helped me take this beer a bit more seriously. The wheat taste was present, but not overwhelming, and overall it was very easy to drink.

The 312 Urban Wheat Ale would be the perfect beer for those who have grown out of their Bud Light days, but still want to partake in some fancy binge drinking. In fact, I plan to get a six-pack myself for my Super Bowl party this Sunday.