Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Chloe Quakenbush

Shira Stoll | Staff photographer

Chloe Quakenbush, a junior psychology major, got a tattoo of an owl and an orchid, to honor the passing of both her sister and her grandmother.

When she was a child, Chloe Quakenbush received a little image of an owl from a temporary tattoo dispensary. She had this moment in mind last year while planning her first piece of real ink.

Though Quakenbush, a junior psychology major, had an interest in getting a tattoo since she was 6 years old, she solidified the idea after two of the biggest presences in her life passed away — her sister and her grandmother.

Her 28-year-old sister, who struggled with drug addiction, passed away from an accidental overdose.

“At her memorial, everyone brought a balloon to a drum circle. The tallest one was a giant owl. It was kind of the centerpiece,” Quakenbush said.

Visions of owls continued to grace her life; one soared daringly close over her mother while on a walk. Another appeared to her aunt in broad daylight after a psychic had professed, “Her sister will come to you as an owl.”

In pursuit of carrying her sister with her forever, Quakenbush walked into a Los Angeles parlor called Dark Horse Tattoo about a year ago with an image of the bird. The piece took an hour and a half to create.

At the last moment, Quakenbush decided to add an orchid to specifically honor her grandmother. Her grandmother suffered from pancreatic cancer, passing six months after her sister.

“My grandma’s favorite flowers were orchids. It’s also the color of pancreatic awareness,” she said.

The piece rests visibly on the inside of her upper arm. It’s colorful and vibrant, just like the two women the tattoo represents. The piercing blue eyes of the owl sit softly amongst the gentle curves of the entire work of art — something to which Quakenbush paid particular attention.

She rolled up her sleeve and gazed down at the tattoo.  Said Quakenbush: “This is a memory of my sister’s better self and of her ultimate beauty and love for animals and for the world in general.”