Men's Soccer

Syracuse adds 3 players to roster

Syracuse men’s soccer head coach Ian McIntyre announced three additions to the men’s soccer program Friday morning. Defender Liam Callahan, midfielder Julian Buescher and forward Korab Syla enrolled at Syracuse University earlier this month and are participating in spring training sessions.

“We are excited to welcome these three very talented players into our program,” McIntyre said in a statement. “These young men complement a strong returning squad and we are all working hard to continue to build upon the strong foundation that has been laid here at Syracuse.”

Callahan, who comes from Amherst, N.Y., arrives at Syracuse as a redshirt sophomore after two seasons at Villanova. As a freshman for Villanova in 2012, Callahan started the first three games on defense before suffering a season-ending injury. Last season, he returned to start 18 games, contributing to six shutouts.

Callahan was ranked the No. 16 player in New York by TopDrawerSoccer.com as a senior at Sweet Home High School in Amherst. At Syracuse, Callahan is reunited with former Empire United club teammates Alex Bono and Stefanos Stamoulacatos.

“Liam is a tough, determined player who will immediately compete for a role on the left side of our team,” McIntyre said. “He is an experienced player who possesses the drive and commitment to excel.”

Buescher, a freshman from Duelmen, Germany, has been a member of the U-16 and U-18 German youth national teams. He was named the top midfield player in the U-19 German Bundesliga in 2011-12.

“Julian has the technical ability and experience to make an immediate impact here,” McIntyre said. “He is an intelligent, creative player with the ability to deliver the important final pass. We look forward to quickly integrating him into our young side.”

Syla, who is from Yonkers, N.Y., joins the Orange after two years at Herkimer County Community College. He led the Generals to the NJCAA Division III national title in 2011 and 2012. He was also named the NJCAA Player of the Year in 2012 after logging 27 points on five goals and 17 assists.

“Korab is a direct, powerful player who possesses the ability to go by opponents and provide excellent service from wide areas,” McIntyre said. “He has already enjoyed tremendous success in college at Herkimer and we hope that such success continues here at Syracuse.”