Tennis

Senior Marrow prepares to play ACC schools she grew up following

During a team conference call after practice in fall 2011, Aleah Marrow heard news she wasn’t expecting.

While the Syracuse tennis team was gathered at Drumlins Country Club, SU head coach Luke Jensen announced over the phone that the Orange would move to the Atlantic Coast Conference starting in the 2013–14 season.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Marrow said. “I was in shock.”

Jensen’s players knew that moving from the Big East provides an opportunity to play better competition and nationally ranked teams regularly. But for Marrow, who has won 61 percent of her career matches, moving to the ACC meant something more.

Marrow, who grew up in Durham, N.C., will have the chance to play against teams that she has followed her whole life — especially North Carolina, Duke and North Carolina State.

“Those are extremely competitive schools,” Marrow said. “Growing up, watching them compete against each other was awesome. I was a Carolina fan growing up, so going back there to play there is awesome. I’m excited.”

Marrow was originally recruited by North Carolina, making the connection even more personal. However, it was Jensen and his coaching staff that emphasized molding players into professionals that helped woo her to Central New York.

Years later, though, Jensen said he still understands how meaningful her ties to her home state are.

“Aleah has a unique opportunity because she grew up in the conference,” Jensen said. “She grew up surrounded by the ACC country, the ACC Tobacco Road aura, the legend, all that stuff.”

Syracuse will open its ACC schedule in Raleigh, N.C., against North Carolina State on Feb. 21. Two days later, Marrow will return to her hometown of Durham when Syracuse faces Duke on Feb. 23.

Currently, eight teams from the ACC rank inside the Top 25. Competing against tougher competition and more ranked teams than in years past is one of the challenges the Orange will face this season.

Jensen said he believes the biggest difference between the Big East and ACC is confidence. Though the competition may be tough at first, Jensen hopes that the effects will ultimately pay dividends for the Orange.

“You walk around with a confidence,” Jensen said, “and I think what’s neat for us, is that we get to join that conference and be proud of that conference, represent that conference and start to don that same identity.”

Marrow’s connection is something the entire team can rally around, said co-captain and senior teammate Maddie Kobelt. Marrow’s emotions toward some of the ACC teams could spill over to the rest of their teammates, she said. The entire team gets energized when it plays opponents from a teammate’s hometown.

Jensen emphasized how exciting the new opponents are, specifically for Marrow.

“She’s kind of getting amped up and she’s really looking forward to it,” said Jensen. “I know she’s been just giddy about it.”

Marrow will now have a chance to play North Carolina and Duke after years of closely following them.

“I’m trying to go in and beat them,” Marrow said. “Take them out.”