Pulp

Otto boosts school spirit with new Instagram account

Courtesy of @theottoorange

Otto the Orange recently made an Instagram and has been posting photos like this Otto cupcake.

The next photo you see of Otto the Orange might be a selfie.

Otto now has his own Instagram account. The mascot has garnered more than 300 followers, posting photos with cheerleaders and the school’s new chancellor.

The Syracuse University mascot is known for being bubbly, friendly and energetic; he is the epitome of school spirit. Yet the identity of this orange is kept under wraps to protect tradition.

The mystery has caused students to question what it is like to be Otto and what he does all day. These questions can be answered by following the famous orange on Instagram through @theottoorange.

“From students on campus and alumni to future students, we hope that everything that Otto does helps to increase their spirit but also to connect with the university in a deeper way,” said Julie Walas, the SU spirit team’s assistant coach.

The most liked photo is currently a picture of the mascot standing alongside Chancellor Kent Syverud, with more than 40 likes. There are also photos of Otto with famous alumnus Taye Diggs and Throwback Thursday posts of the mascot.

Although Otto has other social media pages, such as Facebook and YouTube, Walas said she believes having an Instagram account was necessary. Aside from Instagram becoming a popular marketing tool and media outlet, it is much easier to scroll through a timeline of pictures than it is to read a whole story or post on Facebook, or watch a video on YouTube.

This outlet allows Instagram users to get a sneak peek into a day in the life of Otto and also allows members of the SU community, regardless of location, to stay connected.

“It’s one thing to see Otto at a game in a crowd of 30,000 people, but it’s another thing to have that exchange with Otto on a daily basis,” Walas said.

In addition to the secret team of students who make up Otto, Walas runs the social media account and plans to post at least once a day. Although the account is new, it has acquired followers quickly. She encourages followers to participate by tagging photos with Otto on Mondays with the hashtag #MascotMonday, an idea they picked up from the ACC.

Walas said she believes that a sense of morale is increased by Otto’s direct interaction with the SU community. Sarah Kamya, a varsity cheerleader, can attest to that. She recalls the large crowds of people at the game against Pittsburgh.

Said Kamya: “I watch Otto go around and you can see how people love him, no matter what age, from 90 year olds to 3 year olds. My friends from back home even follow the account because they love Otto and our school spirit.”