Pulp

Mad funny: Former MadTV comedian to perform stand-up at Funny Bone

Courtesy of Tomas Whitehouse

Comedian Pablo Francisco comes to the Funny Bone Comedy Club for three days, from Jan. 30 to Feb. 1. Francisco is known for his Comedy Central specials and Youtube channel, which has more than 2.5 million views.

Get ready to break your funny bone, Syracuse, because Pablo Francisco is coming to town this weekend.

Francisco, the funny man behind Comedy Central specials “They Put it Out There” and “Ouch!” is coming to the Funny Bone Comedy Club and Restaurant, located on the third floor of Destiny USA, this weekend.

“You might also know him as ‘the movie trailer guy,’” Derek Rudy, Francisco’s publicist, said in an email. “You know Pablo best for all of his spot-on impersonations.”

Attendees are in for a treat, as Francisco’s performances are known for keeping audiences laughing throughout the show.

According to a press release, Francisco’s “unbelievable ability to physically morph himself into movie stars, singers, friends, family and a multitude of nationalities gives Pablo’s show a universal charm.”

Francisco, a Tucson, Ariz. native of Chilean descent, got his first big break in the nineties as a cast member on Fox’s “MADtv.” He is well known from his role in the sketch “Hell Date,” in which he channels Keanu Reeves, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Don LaFontaine, all in one skit.

Shortly after showcasing his talents on the hit comedy show, Francisco landed a “Comedy Central Presents” half-hour special. From there, in 2001 and 2002, he went on the road with Carlos Mencia and the late Freddy Soto as a part of “The Three Amigos” comedy tour.

The comedy connoisseur has accomplished many things through the duration of his career, selling out shows in Melbourne and Sydney, Australia, as well as the Melkweg Cultural Center in Amsterdam.

Social media has helped Francisco gain an extensive fan following, with more than 13,000 subscribers and 2.5 million views on YouTube, 32,000 Twitter followers and 143,000 Facebook likes.

Francisco is able to impersonate a wide variety of people. Aside from Arnold Schwarzenegger and Don LaFontaine, some of the famous voices he is well known for impersonating include Celine Dion, Jerry Springer, Kermit the Frog and more. He is also known for lightheartedly poking fun at Spanish telenovelas, people and culture.

“Pablo’s show is an entertaining and off-the-wall performance that delivers the laughs and points out the hilarious absurdities in an illogical, pop-culture obsessed world,” according to the press release.

A frequent YouTube user, Francisco posts many performances such as “Celebrities at Subway,” in which he channels Ozzy Osbourne, Bill Cosby and Tom Cruise, among others, to show his take on how each would act if they were ordering at the sandwich shop. The video has more than 198,000 views. His “Arnold (Schwarzenegger) Narrates National Geographic” video has more than 200,000 views.

Francisco will be performing five shows throughout a window of three days, from Jan. 30 to Feb. 1, with two shows Friday and Saturday evening. Tickets are $20 and are available for purchase online and by phone. Patrons must be 21 and over.