Editorial

Enhanced transparency needed for stadium project

Before a proposal for a new athletic facility comes to fruition, government and university officials must be more transparent with the project’s details.

For a project of such size, details matter.

Onondoga County Executive Joanie Mahoney recently convinced Gov. Andrew Cuomo to provide 200 million dollars in state money for a sports stadium on the site of the demolished Kennedy Square public housing project. Last week, Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner asked for details regarding the facility, including where it would be built, how it would be financed and whether the land would be subject to property taxes. These basic questions have not yet been outlined.

Fortunately, Cuomo announced Friday that the proposal was not yet ready to move forward.

It is irresponsible of university and city officials to not clearly communicate the logistics of a project of such scale as an athletic stadium. Although the project is exciting, Miner was rightfully skeptical of the details for this major initiative.

A drawing of the proposed stadium highlights the rapid pace at which the proposal was moving. Miner proved the lack of detail surrounding the stadium by questioning its basic financial characteristics. The project should not be initiated if university and city officials are unable to provide answers to the key details such as how the facility will be financed and its property tax.

The future of the Dome is also a detail that requires attention. The facility’s future falls into question with the recently proposed stadium.

The Dome’s presence should be important to officials, as it is a landmark for both the city and the university. If built, a new facility could replace the iconic structure. This alone could be unsettling for students and members of the city. If the project progresses, city and SU officials should improve upon their communication and transparency with the public so they can better understand the decision.

Without this, the stadium, meant for recreation and SU fandom, could turn into a point of great contention.