Ducks

Duck: Dylan Segelbaum

Asst. Copy Editor | Fall 2012-Fall 2013

Andy Casadonte | Art Director

The Daily Orange is a sweatshop.

Seriously. Just think about it. Dim lights. Long hours at lower-than-minimum-wage pay. Mice? Check. But perhaps worst of all: horrible Internet.

But looking back at the last one and a half years, I can’t think of anything else I would’ve rather done. Here’s to everyone at 744 Ostrom Ave. who stuck it out with me.  

Rachael

You helped a total stranger out during his absolute worst and didn’t judge or lose faith in him. If there’s one person I owe my time in-house to, it’s you.

#SUtoATL (Here’s to John Denver, Macklemore, ratchet Waffle Houses, sexually-suggestively named bars and some of the most memorable five days I’ve ever had.)

Chase

Remember when we both covered SA for an entire semester but never talked to one another until Battle 2012? Congratulations on breaking the photo editor curse (and deciding against shaving at that Chick-fil-A.) Sorry I never shotgunned a beer with you.

Luke

I’m honestly convinced you’re the most interesting man in the world.

Maddy

I’ll see you at Schloppindix.

Lauren

“OK Lauren” (Never forget 10:53 p.m. April 3, 2013.)

Derrick Coleman

Thanks for the shots, D.C.

Chris

Between getting back at 3:30 a.m. every night and seemingly always owing you money, I don’t know how you put up with me. Try to take some time off sometimes.

Sam

I can remember you asking me once during Hebrew about what it was like to work in-house. Well, now you’re photo editor — pretty qual. .טוב מזל

Cheryl

We always mocked how stressed out you’d get while designing, but it was really great working with you.

Beth

I hope you’re enjoying D.O. retirement. Can you believe COM 100 was almost three years ago?

Lizzie

Redesigning an entire paper is no easy task. I’m looking forward to it next semester.

David

It was very nice getting to know someone from sports for once — and receiving start page teases before 2 a.m. I’m glad we got to do Pudge’s.

Bailey

I really admire how you made the best out of a very f*cked up situation and used it to pursue your passion. Good luck as sports editor next semester. One day we’ll go to Graham.

Klinger, Phil, Trevor and Jesse

You’re all extremely talented. I’m jealous.

Erik

It’s always been a relief that someone else knows what I mean when I mention Jawbreaker or The Stooges. It was great working on the Lou Reed story with you.

Joe

Keep that Analfred kid in line, will ya.

Kristin

I think you’re the only person who’s more excited than I am to be a duck. Enjoy. Trust me that it was for the best that I didn’t do the blind date for Feature.

Meghin

I still can’t figure out why you gave stories to this awkward freshman with no journalism background. Wait, you graduated?

Dara and Becca

I’ve never felt more comfortable in a pair of jeans.

Stephanie

Election Day 2012 was a blast. Remember: I still owe you coffee.

Bre

Seriously, you’re the nicest person I’ve ever met. Thanks for training me.

Liz

You gave me my D.O. nickname (I think so; if not, I regret this error) and turned my last name into a verb. Though I’m still not sure what to make of either.

Debbie

You’d think the awkwardness of our interactions would’ve improved in three years. It hasn’t — whether it’s at People’s Place or a “marathon six-hour executive session”— but it’s been fun.

Nicki

There was something missing this semester without your absurd cow text tone.

Casey

We didn’t agree often. Or, well, never. But that’s not to say I don’t respect you for putting the paper before yourself this year. Avoid that Sliders grilled cheese (really, for the love of God, don’t do it) and you’ll go far.

Mark 

Your love for The Daily Orange is clear. Still. More than six months after graduation. It was truly refreshing getting to work under someone who was excited about the paper each and every day. 

Laurence 

You kept my spirits up during the rough transition into the job. Like Mark, it can’t be overstated how much you cared. Your vast AP Style knowledge and tangents about Jon Barnhart are missed. 

Ankur

“All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn’t give it to me! Just a Pepsi!”

Alfred

Dude stuff.

Maggie

Have fun abroad. Eventually I’ll tell you what I think about spiders.

Annie

The news section is now in your hands. Just remember: Plan. Don’t take sh*t from writers. Raise the standards. Put common sense before mindless traditions. Remember SU “News” usually isn’t news. And most importantly, be critical and skeptical of everyone and everything. Good luck.

Jess

It’s pretty shocking the safari for that nutgraf took you all the way to London. (That’s why you’re there, right?) Hopefully the weather there didn’t “gat” to you and we’ll be able to catch up when you’re back stateside.

Marwa

You’ve been my biggest advocate ever since I got in-house. Both your advice and friendship are valuable. Give yourself some credit and try to be less humble sometimes.

Meredith

I remember my first reaction when Marwa told me she hired you as the second copy editor for news: “Who the hell is that?” It’s pretty astonishing how much can happen in a year and half — a stabbing in the Carrier Dome, a new chancellor, a Final Four season and, well, maybe actually becoming close friends. Now, we’re both #washedup.

Mom and Dad                                                                                           

I can’t explain how much dealing with my stressed out phone calls (or 10); the random Tastykake care packages; and just accepting that I had 46 cents in my checking account but was planning on skipping a week of school to go to Atlanta have helped me these last few years. I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through them otherwise. Thanks for the love and support.