Pulp

Cool colors: Make drab winter wardrobe a little less frightful, include vibrant tones that are oh so delightful

This time of year, it can be hard to look your best. Between Syracuse’s frigid temperatures and endless finals stress, the temptation to throw on the nearest pair of (probably dirty) sweats is stronger than ever.

Then there’s the ubiquitous holiday cheer that so forcefully imposes itself on us from the middle of November up until January. Ugly sweater parties insist that looking goofy is the only way to celebrate, and gifts of clothing come with no guarantee of being attractive.

So what’s a style-starved college student to do? The answer: Find what little attitude schoolwork and gift shopping haven’t eaten up, and use it to give your look some edge. They say when you look good, you feel good, so dress up and face the world — and finals week — with your head held high.

Start with a very necessary protective shell. A killer winter coat perks up any look while staving off the chill. Shearling-lined outerwear creates the perfect shell: soft on the inside, hard on the outside. Look for something with buckles and hardware to add even more attitude. The suede number pictured here comes with a hefty price tag, but faux fur and leather options can still do the trick. Whether you’re dressed up to go out or headed to the game in a simple orange T-shirt, a great winter coat can be the piece that pulls everything together.

Boots come next on the list of cold weather essentials, especially in this city. Dr. Martens are a timeless choice with a rebellious undertone. Their thick rubber soles withstand snow, salt and grime like no other boot. Just be sure to properly waterproof the leather to keep things clean, dry and stylish. For the truly adventurous, a gold pair will have you shining bright on cloudy days.

When drab weather does come though, the siren song of sweatpants sings louder than ever. The key to resisting their soft and lazy charms is to know that comfort and attitude aren’t mutually exclusive. The leggings-and-a-sweater look is a cozy Syracuse favorite, but it’s one that can easily go wrong. Cover your ass — literally. Be sure the sweater is long enough and the leggings are sufficiently opaque. Then dress it up with heeled boots and fabulous accessories.

The key to those accessories is color. Use punchy pieces to break through wintery, gray days. A vibrant blue backpack makes toting books a bit less miserable. Add colorful sunglasses on rare sunny days. An orange pair achieves the perfect balance between being too cool for school and expressing ’Cuse pride.

Cozy winter accessories present another opportunity for flair. Scarves provide endless possibilities for style. Plus, you never know who will get wrapped up in them with you. Meghan’s hot pink earmuffs make for a sassy alternative to the ever-present sorority girl knitted headband and are sure to get you some positive attention. Galaxy-print leggings will get you some stares, too, though perhaps in a more controversial way. Either way, warm and attention-grabbing pieces will keep all eyes on you.

When holiday party invitations inevitably come, keep things simple with a button-down and jeans. Keeping it casual but classy, find a plaid that isn’t too visually busy. Often a two-color plaid like this one is just enough. Dark jeans play a supporting role to the starring button down and look a bit dressier than light-colored denim. Leo’s maroon sneakers combine comfort, style and subtle holiday spirit to round out the look.

So as finals week and frenzied holiday shopping loom ominously ahead, look to your closet for the boost you need to carry on. Build a base with reliable but edgy outerwear and boots. Then, add accessories with attitude. Whether in the classroom or at a holiday party, clothes that push the envelope in just the right ways will give you the attitude you need to survive the winter in comfort and style.

Clothing provided by J. Michael’s, 173 Marshall St.
Models: Meghan Flaim, Leo Wong