iSchool

Technology series showcases student projects with open house

Students crowded into a small, glass-walled room for an opportunity to test out Google Glass, use a Leap Motion gesture controller, see a MakerBot 3-D printer in action and witness demonstrations of a drone created by a student.

The group was gathered for the School of Information Studies’ first ever Future Friday event, held in the New Explorations in Information and Science lab of Hinds Hall.  The open house was intended to showcase new technologies and the work of students involved with the NEXIS lab and its associated class, IST 200:  “Inventing the Future,” said J.D. Ross, director of communications for the iSchool.

Founded in 2011, the NEXIS lab focuses on emerging technologies and social media.  The next Future Friday will take place on the first Friday in December, said NEXIS Director Anthony Rotolo.  December’s open house will feature projects made by students in Rotolo’s NEXIS class, IST 200. He said he anticipates that Future Fridays will be held about once a month.

Rotolo said he hopes the events will encourage people to come to the lab with their own ideas for projects.

“I want people to know that if they are interested in exploring something new or something experimental in technology, that we are open to that,” Rotolo said.

Arland Whitfield, a sophomore information technology major whose work was featured at the event, said he became interested in building drones this summer after watching a YouTube video.  He said demonstrations like the one given Friday help people better understand technology that might otherwise intimidate them.

Whitfield, who is also a NEXIS crew member, created the Skyworks Project. The project works to bring together students from across different disciplines to study both the technical and social aspects of drone technology.

“This technology is evolving very rapidly and it’s going to be a part of our everyday lives,” Whitfield said. “I think we’re foolish to ignore the fact that it’s there.”

Ross described Friday’s event as “wildly successful.” He said the lab was full of students and visitors starting at noon.  Rotolo said he thought people were drawn to the event by the approachable nature of the lab.

“Being able to touch things and try things is a big deal,” Rotolo said. He said 3-D printing and Skyworks will continue to be areas of focus for the NEXIS lab in the future.

iSchool Dean Elizabeth Liddy gave a similar explanation, citing the popularity of the Google Glass event held several weeks ago. Liddy said she supports the NEXIS lab’s work, adding that it allows students to see things they read about in person and think about information in a “different way.”

Whitfield offered a simple explanation of the NEXIS lab’s mission.

“Guys, there’s cool stuff out there,” Whitfield said.  “Just take a look.”