Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Ashley Adler

Shira Stoll | Staff Photographer

Ashley Adler, a sophomore biotechnology major at SUNY-ESF, got this clipper ship as part of an aquatic-themed sleeve she plans to get. It reminds her to keep a level head during hard times.

Getting an entire sleeve permanently tattooed on your arm is a major decision to make, but Ashley Adler dreams bigger: She wants two.

The sophomore biotechnology major at State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry took a step toward that goal with her third and most recent piece. It marked the beginning of a full arm of aquatic-themed artwork.

It is a clipper ship, reaching far toward a sky of rolling clouds. Seven birds glide about the image as a sign of good luck.

“The planning took a little while, but it all stemmed from an image I created in my mind while reading Shakespeare’s ‘The Tempest,’” Adler said, who also has a sunflower tattooed on her right foot.

She said she often has a plethora of ideas in her head regarding what tattoo she wants next. But after letting this image sink into her mind, she decided to move forward with it.

After drawing out several images of clipper ships on her own, Adler collaborated with her tattoo artist at Da Vinci Tattoo in Wantagh, N.Y., to come up with the image that now graces the length of her left bicep. She said the tattoo session surprisingly took only about two hours, a sign of an experienced artist.

Below the image is the quote “Don’t let these waves wash away your hopes,” written in a light, feathered font, taken from the song “Wooden Heart” by Listener. Adler said she often reflects on the hardships her family has gone through and the deep emotional attachment she feels to this particular song and its lyrics.

“There have been many times where I’ve completely lost sight of the positives, and felt that life in general is pretty bleak,” she said.

But even through rough patches in life, Adler said she keeps a very level head. She explained the tattoo as a whole is a reminder that the truth is revealed in even the toughest of times.

As time goes on, she will continue to work on her left arm and eventually begin a sleeve on her right arm. That side of her body, however, will represent the terrestrial, rather than the aquatic realm of life.

She said she has experienced a variety of reactions from having such a large, visible tattoo.

“So far, I think overall I’ve been a shock factor,” Adler said. “Mostly from older generations, I guess. My mom was a little iffy when I told her my idea, but she loved it in the end, and I think she’s a little proud, even.”

The creative aspect of tattoo culture is what really appeals to Adler, she said. Since she has been so involved in her pieces of artwork, it has become a big part of her life. And she is excited to continue.

Said Adler: “Letting an artist elaborate on your ideas is just like waiting to unwrap a present on Christmas morning.”