Editorial

Students should elect Rosales, Goldslager for SA

The Daily Orange Editorial Board endorses Ivan Rosales and Simone Goldslager for Syracuse University Student Association president and vice president.

This week, students have the opportunity to vote online for one of three SA presidential campaigns. Students should vote for Rosales and Goldslager because of Rosales’ established relationship with Chancellor-designate Kent Syverud, the pair’s personal dynamic and its achievable initiatives — specifically diversity.

Rosales’ relationship with Syverud is an important factor to consider in this election. Rosales was one of two students selected to serve on the chancellor search committee that helped choose Nancy Cantor’s successor. Being chosen to help with this effort reflects Rosales’ standing on campus, and has allowed him to already spark a strong relationship with Syverud.

This relationship is critical to SA’s ability to accomplish on-campus initiatives. If Rosales can help SA create a strong connection with Syverud, the organization can become the liaison between students and administration that it should be.

Rosales and Goldslager have a collaborative dynamic that is crucial in the organization’s top positions. The pair is both personable and approachable — two traits that allow for effective student outreach and involvement within SA.

Goldslager has never served in SA. However, this should be viewed as a benefit to the organization. New faces bring fresh ideas needed to initiate change in SA.

Although some SA members might doubt Goldslager’s experience in the organization, she is involved in other student groups on campus, including the greek and residence hall communities. Her experience will help SA have a broader focus of the student body.

It is important for candidates to be realistic when it comes to diversity. Goldslager is taking on the campaign’s diversity pillar of the platform. Goldslager said a multicultural festival would bring together students from all corners of campus.

Of the other candidates, Goldslager presented the most achievable goal regarding improving diversity at SU. However, the idea celebrates diversity but should further confront self-segregation on campus.

The campaign’s weakness lies in a past event. Last semester, Rosales wrote an anonymous riddle to The Daily Orange revealing internal controversy within SA. The manner in which he did this was unprofessional.

However, it is admirable that he acted in an attempt to confront rules that were being broken and promote visibility among SA leaders. He saw an internal issue and acted honestly. Rosales has since apologized for his error, but has proven he holds the organization to a high standard.

SA considers itself the “defender of the students.” Rosales embodies this ideal.