Pulp

Q&A with Coni Duchess of Capsula: Latino indie-psychedelic rock band

The name Capsula — meaning capsule when translated — originated from David Bowie’s “Space Oddity.”

Capsula, a Latino indie-psychedelic rock band, formed during 1998 in Argentina, then moved to Bilbao, Spain, in 2001. But despite its foreign routes, the group is no stranger to the United States. Together, band members Martin Guevara, Coni Duchess and Ignacio Villarejo Solimo have previously toured in the United States. And in 2009, they performed at the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas. While there, David Fricke, a senior editor at Rolling Stone, dubbed them one of the “best surprises” of the event.

Capsula will be opening for fellow psychedelic rockers, Os Mutantes, Nov. 10 at the Westcott Theater. The Daily Orange spoke with Duchess — Capsula’s vocalist and bassist — about the band’s style, influences and what she likes most about performing.

The D.O.: What’s the best way to describe your music?

Duchess: If I had to label it, the label would be rock ‘n’ roll. When we try to describe our sound, of course, it’s like different sounds — like psychedelic sounds from the guitars — but then there’s the minimalistic rhythm of the bass. That combination makes a new sound, which is our own sound I would say. The energy and the wildness on the stage is rock ‘n’ roll.

The D.O.: What is your favorite song you’ve produced or performed?

Duchess: I will choose from different periods of the band. The first three albums were in Spanish — with a very sonic sound — but the lyrics were in Spanish. I love the first track from the first album, which is called “Caballos de Mar.” Then, the songs we recorded from other artists, we recorded a version of The Velvet Underground, “Run Run Run.” That was a very intimate recording with Martin, shot out of our house, shot with a cymbal, a guitar and a bass. And then of course, we recorded the whole Ziggy Stardust album by David Bowie.

The D.O.: What bands would you compare your style to?

Duchess: It’s hard because the sound is like a living creature. While you are playing it, you can set up your sound, but the sound has its own movement. Sometimes, I would say we sound like a dark band from 1983 or 1984, like some post-punk or new wave, like Birthday Party. Also, we have a rhythm and blues feeling. Bands like very early Rolling Stones or The Yardbirds, I don’t know, it’s a strange combination.

The D.O.: What influences your music?

Duchess: We get inspired by everyday ideas, especially by dreams. They are thoughts running in a free way, so we listen very careful to them because they are very important to our writing of music.

The D.O.: How would you describe the sound of “Solar Secrets,” your latest album?

Duchess: It is an album that, at times, is psychedelic, and at times dark. It also has its aggressive moments. It is for guitar lovers.

The D.O.: Why do you think your music would appeal to students?

Duchess: I think it’s a wild experience, a connection with a band starting from the underground in Buenos Aires in South America, which is something particular I would say. It is a very live experience, so I hope you all enjoy it.