Pulp

Myslice is right: Find your most compatible schedule by matching classes to your personality

There’s a huge difference between the classes currently sitting in your shopping cart on MySlice versus the classes you will actually end up taking. Unless a class is specific to your major, there is no guarantee you will get into it. Some classes will be full before your designated signup time slot, others will be reserving seats for underclassmen. Therefore, it’s essential to have at least one backup ready for a last-second schedule switch. But instead of taking a class you have no desire for, take our advice and cater your selections to your personality. If a class is something you’re mildly interested in, maybe you’ll at least show up to the first lecture.

— Compiled by The Daily Orange feature staff
Illustrations by Andy Casadonte | Art Director

Pulp_coursespread_11_14_andy_3

Inspector Gadget

NEW 300: “How to Make Almost Anything on the Web”

If you call yourself a techie, you need the programming skills to back up the claim. Updating your blog on Tumblr or changing the typeface on WordPress is child’s play compared to what you’ll learn in this class. As the title suggests, you’ll learn it all — or almost all of it, anyway. It’s only one credit, but be warned: This class is not for the faint of heart, as it is a five-week intensive crash course in the world of code.

IST 263: “Web Design and Mgmt”

Now that you know how to produce content for the web, it’s time to make it look nice. As a tech junkie, you probably understand that HTML organizes the content while CSS changes the way everything looks. But this class, while challenging your knowledge of coding, lets you get creative. The goal is to create an intuitive user-based experience. If you like BuzzFeed’s lists, this class will teach you the skills necessary to create something similar.

IST 486: “Social Media in the Enterprise”

Anyone who has perused Twitter for Syracuse University mentions has probably seen the notorious #RotoloClass hashtag. In this class, you’ll not only learn to promote and search for content, but you’ll also analyze and evaluate trends, and learn the science behind social media. Tweets are mandatory, a Facebook is recommended and get yourself a Google+ account if you don’t have one already.

Pulp_coursespread_11_14_andy_2

Trailblazer

PED 289: “Backpacking”

During this class, it’s adventure time, all the time. And Central New York has some of the best hiking spots in the Northeast. Locally, you have Onondaga Lake Park and a little farther north are the countless trails in the Adirondacks — and, let’s be honest, if Sasquatch exists, it’s probably there. Bonus: The only class supplies you’ll need are some hiking boots and a backpack.

EFB 326: “Diversity of Plants”

You’re not truly an outdoorsman — or outdoorswoman — unless you can identify each tree and plant on any given hike. If you can’t tell the difference between a maple tree and a great oak, this class will teach you how. Or, take this class to learn which plants to eat to save your life, should you ever get lost during a backpacking excursion.

PED 225: “Advanced Scuba”

While it may not be the first thing to come to mind when you think of the outdoors, scuba diving is about as adventurous as it gets. This class is a far cry from when you used to wear a snorkel in the bathtub. Yes, there are some tests and a class fee, but by the end of the semester, you have the option to get certified, allowing you to scuba dive — without a professor’s supervision — anywhere you go.

Pulp_coursespread_11_14_andy_1

Laid Back

REL 103: “Religion and Sports” (offered online)

When winter is at its peak next semester and massive amounts of snow keep you from leaving your apartment, you’ll wish you could stay in bed without missing class. But now, you can. This course, focusing on the role that religion plays in sports, will be offered online. So get back in those pajamas, make a cup of hot chocolate and stay in bed for a few extra hours without feeling guilty about cutting class.

AMC 100: Beginning Piano, Voice or Guitar

Explore your musical side with any of these one-credit music lesson courses in which students can perfect, or learn for the first time, how to play the piano or guitar, or learn basic singing skills. Meeting for just 55 minutes two times a week — and no class begins before 11 a.m. — this applied music course will fit perfectly into any schedule.

HPM 412: “Wine Appreciation”

Sit back, relax and class things up a bit next semester with a course dedicated to wine. Students will get an inside look at the different types of wines and how to evaluate and taste them, and will learn how to properly pair wines with foods. Of course, you must be at least 21 years old to take this class, so if you are too young right now, put it on your SU course bucket list.

Pulp_coursespread_11_14_andy_4

Flirt

CFS 425: “Lust, Love and Relationships”

For those who have ever questioned why they are attracted to someone or why they keep dating a certain type of person, this child and family studies course will provide some insight. Students in this three-credit course examine why we lust for certain people and what drives us to enter into relationships that are surrounded with conflict.

COM 300: “Effects of Sex in the Media”

Every day, the media bombards us with images of scantily clad women and, of course, sex. From TV dramas and reality shows to music videos and movies, sex is everywhere. This communications course will analyze how these media messages impact viewers in today’s society, both young and old. This Newhouse course is open to any sophomore, junior or senior.

QSX 112: “Sexualities, Genders, Bodies”

Switch things up and get a new perspective on sexuality through this lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender studies course, which explores how sexuality, gender and embodiment are discussed and understood in different cultures and communities. Students who sign up for this class will analyze these topics through movies, literature and the media.

Pulp_coursespread_11_14_andy_5

Foodie

HPM 222: “Introduction to Culinary Arts”

If you pack your class schedule too tightly, you might not have time to eat lunch. Instead of skipping it, take a class that requires you to eat. This cooking class aims to teach students how to cook easy, well-balanced meals, as well as identify ingredients. After this, ramen noodles should never be on your grocery list again.

NSD 225: “Nutrition in Health”

College students aren’t exactly known for eating healthy, so break that stereotype by enrolling in this class. Students will learn about nutrient requirements and functions, and also what foods to eat to gain them. Topics will also include weight control and the truth about dietary supplements.

FST 202: “Agroecology”

Before food is on our dinner table, it goes through a long, tedious process. If you’re curious about the agricultural industry, this is the class for you. Students will learn the biological processes in the American food system, including types of soil, pest control basics and socioeconomic policy. However, this class doesn’t actually indulge in eating food — so bring a snack to lecture.