Pop Culture

Grimaldi: Audiences should not consider artists mutually exclusive from ideals, actions

Ideology and action have an incredible effect on what a person creates. An artist, public figure or celebrity should not be mutually exclusive from their work.

Audiences need to take a closer look at the minds behind the art before they buy tickets to this weekend’s “Ender’s Game” or listen to another Chris Brown song.

“Ender’s Game” author Orson Scott Card proves that words can be just as harmful as actions. To the best of our knowledge, Card hasn’t physically attacked anyone. He has, however, openly written numerous homophobic diatribes and has other controversial beliefs. He once wrote that President Barack Obama is a dictator who would turn gangs into his own personal police force to stay in power forever.

His harmful ideologies come through in his work, yet he’s celebrated as one the best living authors. He’s written more than 61 titles, including “Speaker for the Dead” and “Xenocide.” “Ender’s Game” was adapted into a high-profile film, which opened during the weekend. The book and film revolve around child soldiers of the future trained to wage war against aliens.

In comparison to Card, someone like Chris Brown has done awful things. Plenty of artists and celebrities have had angry outbursts and made mistakes, but none have been welcomed back and embraced by the public like Brown has been.

Despite the fact that photos and details surrounding the attack of his victim, Rihanna, were widely distributed, the public has chosen to ignore it and keep Brown as a pop star who makes millions of dollars a year.

Attitude, physical violence and ideology are equally harmful. The producers of “Ender’s Game” understand this all too well. Lionsgate Entertainment released a statement that said they disagree with Card’s personal views and the film will be detached from the author’s ideology. Card will be awarded no royalties from the film. He instead received a one-time payment for rights of use.

Yet Card is obviously benefitting from the film. “Ender’s Game” made $9.9 million on Friday and the book has been at the top of The New York Times best-seller list for 53 weeks.

Comparatively, Brown’s albums have all been No. 1 on the charts at some point during the year of their release ever since his 2009 beating of Rihanna.

Would a boycott of Brown and Card’s work push them into bankruptcy? Probably not.

But audiences shouldn’t separate work by an artist or public figure from their personal views. Controversy almost always brings commercial success.

If you go to see “Ender’s Game” or read the book, it doesn’t mean you’re homophobic. If you listen to Brown, it doesn’t mean you’re violent. The mindset in which a person consumes this content is what matters.

Escapism is another reason these works are popular and that people ignore their context. Whenever we see a movie or listen to music, we do it for a small vacation from reality. Media consumers ignore the context in which movies, art, television and music are created.

We need to stop doing this. In order to be media literate and intelligent about the things we read, watch and listen to, we should never exclude the artist from his or her work.

The First Amendment protects free speech. A victim’s fear protects violent assailants. Fame protects both Brown and Card. Audiences can dismantle this protection by taking a closer look at media and critiquing its creators.

Society needs to stop glorifying hateful, violent celebrities. Before you buy into an exciting-looking film or new song, you should look at the context from which it comes.

Cassie-lee Grimaldi is a senior television, radio and film major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected] and reached on Twitter @cassiegrimaldi.