Letter to the Editor

SU student groups should not glorify Che Guevara as hero

“The Revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” – Ernesto “Che” Guevara.

This is a quote that is displayed on La Lucha’s Immigration Week Kiosk Poster in the Atrium of Schine Student Center.

Last week, La Lucha, in collaboration with the Syracuse Undocumented Rising and NYPIRG, hosted a week of events titled “Dreaming For Justice.”

According to its Constitution, La Lucha is, “…committed to luchando against the ignorant forces that seek to strip us of our identity as people.” However, in this case, this ignorance seems to come from within the organization itself.

Che Guevara was an international terrorist and mass murderer. He can be put into the same ideological category as Mao Zedong or Joseph Stalin.
The glorification of this murderous thug needs to stop, and the first step is questioning the myth of Che.

Leftists praise him as a hero, but they do not examine why this is so false.

Whoever prepared La Lucha’s Immigration Week poster should read Che Guevara’s Forgotten Victims by Maria C. Werlau.

Like many students and faculty, La Lucha is not aware of the atrocities committed by Che Guevara toward humankind.

During his violent campaigns to spread communism throughout Latin America, Che Guevara trained firing squads under communist dictator Fidel Castro that resulted in the execution of thousands of men, women and children.

The following quotes by Che Guevara reveal that Che Guevara represents not what immigrants want to find when they reach America, but what immigrants want to leave behind:

•“Executions? Yes, we have executed, we are executing, and we will continue to execute.” – 1964, in a speech at the United Nations

• “We must eliminate all newspapers; we cannot make a revolution with free press. Newspapers are instruments of the oligarchy.” – 1959, to Cuban journalist Jose Pardo Llada

• “We’re going to do for blacks exactly what blacks did for the revolution. By which I mean: nothing.” – 1959, to Luis Pons at a press conference
It is a contradiction for La Lucha to both idolize Che Guevara and support immigrants, when some immigrants come to America to escape what Che Guevara notoriously created.

College Republicans
Syracuse University