Appreciation

APPreciation: Mercury Web Browser

Google Chrome and Safari — the default browsers for iOS and Android, respectively — are generally sufficient options for surfing the web on your phone. But if you’re looking for a little something extra — something beyond the not-very-extensive versions of brand name browsers — you might consider trying out one of the host of third-party browsers optimized for mobile, like Mercury Web Browser.

Mercury Browser has been one of the most popular third-party mobile web browsers since it was first released for iOS in 2011. Late last month, the first Android version of the app was released for free in the Google Play store.

The browser offers the majority of the features available with default browsers: tabbed browsing, ad blocking, auto fill, etc. But in addition to the basics, Mercury includes a number of options and plug-ins directed specifically toward mobile users. Users can switch between tabs with a two-finger swipe. The browser has gesture support for eight total swipe commands and 26 different functions.

The reader plug-in strips out distracting, extra content to create a cleaner reading experience, and the desktop mode tricks the user agent software and the web pages into delivering desktop layouts you prefer — not the altered mobile versions.

A few other handy features include Dropbox integration, bookmark syncing with Firefox and Chrome and the option to set a password to access the browser. Private browsing, where the browser is set not to remember history and cookies, is also available and easy to enable.

Mercury is one of the best-established and most feature-rich options, but each mobile browser offers something different.

Dolphin Browser for Android and iOS includes voice control, Evernote integration and customizable themes. Skyfire Web Browser was the first application to offer Flash Player support for iPhone users. Opera Mini is popular for its speed. And as you might expect, Chrome and Safari are always solid choices with great user interface design.

For the most part, picking the best browser is a matter of individual tastes and preferences.  Take the time to test out a few and see what works best for you.