iSchool

AdBrite founder, alumnus to speak at convocation

Philip Kaplan, an Internet entrepreneur who founded AdBrite and several other start-up companies, will give the convocation speech for the School of Information Studies in May.

Kaplan, a 1997 alumnus of the iSchool, is an entrepreneur in San Francisco. He founded AdBrite, the largest privately-held Internet ad network, according to the iSchool’s website. His other startups include sites for people interested in a range of subjects on music and entertainment.

In addition to his many projects, Kaplan is always willing to give time to students, said J.D. Ross, director of communications at the iSchool.

For example, iSchool students who took an immersive Spring Break in Silicon Valley may recognize Kaplan since he often meets with students while they are there to study startups, said Elizabeth Liddy, the iSchool’s dean.

Kaplan was also a mentor and judge for IDEA’s emerging enterprise competition — where student entrepreneurs compete for startup funding — in 2012, Ross said. He added that Kaplan often returns to visit campus and served on the iSchool’s board of advisers from 2006-2012.

In addition to AdBrite, Kaplan founded Blippy, a website that allows users to “explore, create and send animated GIF messages,” according to its website. Kaplan founded the website Fandalism, a social network for musicians. The site went live in January 2012 and grew to more than 350,000 members in a few months, according to an April 6, 2012 techcrunch.com article.

He also founded DistroKid, which appeals to independent musicians and smaller bands by allowing them to distribute music on websites including Amazon, iTunes and Spotify, Ross said.

Liddy said senior administrators, alumni and a group of students were all responsible for selecting Kaplan as the 2014 convocation speaker.

Students were very involved in the selection process, Ross said, with a group of 2014 graduates coming up with a list of candidates to speak at its convocation. Lauren Peters and Kevin Kettell, class marshals for the iSchool, headed the group and made a video pitching Kaplan as the convocation speaker.

Ross said there is no typical schedule when it comes to selecting the iSchool’s convocation speaker, adding that the iSchool’s speaker had not been chosen until January for last year’s convocation.

“It happens when you find the right person; there’s no set time,” Ross said. He added that they chose Kaplan because he is an entrepreneur who has started up several websites.

Ross said Liddy, the iSchool’s dean, met with Kaplan and showed him the students’ video. Kaplan then happily accepted the invitation.

Liddy said Kaplan has been successful in his own right and has stayed in touch with the school.

“I can’t imagine anyone who would be more appropriate,” she said.