Weekender

Afternoon delight: Eighth annual Wine and Chocolate Festival sells desserts, drinks from local wineries, raises money for cancer research

Photo Courtesy of Pam Levine

The New York State Fairgrounds is hosting this year's Wine and Chocolate Festival on Nov. 30. With a ticket, visitors have access to unlimited wine and chocolate from local vendors, including Beak and Skiff Vineyards, Cabot Cheese and Three Brothers Winery.

For those not headed home for Thanksgiving, fear not. You can spend your time sampling an abundance of wine and chocolate.

The 8th Annual Central New York Wine and Chocolate Festival is making its way to the New York State Fairgrounds from 3-9 p.m. on Nov. 30. Tickets are $20 for those 21 and older, which includes unlimited wine and chocolate tastings. For designated drivers and people younger than 21, tickets are $10 each.

“It’s a nice, indulgent, fun night,” said Pam Levine, general manager of Galaxy Communications.

Upon arriving at the festival, patrons of legal age will receive a wine glass to carry around to the different wineries’ booths and sample the products. Bottles of wine will also be available for purchase. A dollar of every purchase will be donated to the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund Inc., which was founded by Alec Baldwin’s mother, a resident of Syracuse and a breast cancer survivor.

A wine check, similar to a coat check system, will be available to hold purchases until the end of the event.

Conveniently taking place on Small Business Saturday, this year’s event will showcase more than 90 local businesses, 30 of which are wineries, while the other 60 range in specialties from chocolate, jewelry, spa and body products and more — great for anyone looking to purchase a small gift for the upcoming holiday season. In addition to vendors, there will also be live music.

“The event is a one-stop holiday shop,” Levine said.

When creating the concept for the event, Levine said the objective was to provide a forum for local wineries to sample their products to the community, as most are unaware that the Finger Lakes Region is a premier wine region in the United States. Now the event has evolved into much more during the past seven years, providing multiple means of entertainment for audiences of all ages.

Levine also said the event is not geared solely toward wine lovers, as the diverse types of vendors may attract a broader audience. Students who are not yet 21 years old should not be discouraged, as they can still enjoy live music and gourmet desserts.

Tickets are available online and at Wegmans markets. The festival is produced and owned by Galaxy Communications, and sponsors include jewelry company Alex and Ani, Upstate Women’s Health Network and The New York Lottery.