Women's Soccer

Syracuse tries to finish in the box, break out of ACC slump against Pittsburgh

Ziniu Chen | Staff Photographer

Forward Erin Simon and Syracuse have struggled to score since the start of Atlantic Coast Conference play.

Phil Wheddon’s voice rang with cheery optimism as the head coach addressed Syracuse’s inconsistency after an early-morning practice on Tuesday.

“I think we’ve been competitive in absolutely every game,” Wheddon said. “I’ve gotten numerous compliments from other coaches telling me how good we are and how our results don’t reflect that.”

After two disheartening losses against Atlantic Coast Conference rivals Clemson and Wake Forest, Wheddon remained confident about his team’s ability to rebound. He said the Orange is better than its record would presume.

Syracuse has relied on a cast of players to score on the attack this season. But a recent lack of composure inside the box has forced SU to squander scoring chances. SU (4-7-1, 0-5-1 Atlantic Coast) will need to play more consistently around the net when it travels to face Pittsburgh (4-7-1, 0-6-0) on Sunday at 1 p.m.

At the beginning of the season, Wheddon said the Orange would take a scoring-by-committee approach, integrating various players to generate more offensive sophistication. SU has demonstrated that creative mentality when it incorporates defenders into the attack, a strategy that allows the team to transition more quickly up field.

Recently, though, the Orange has struggled to finish shots inside the attacking third, hindering its ability to secure victories against talented ACC opponents. Sophomore Erin Simon said SU’s scoring deficiency has stemmed from poor concentration.

“We’re getting the opportunities to score,” Simon said. “We’re just lacking the composure in the box, and not finishing the final pass.”

The Orange has had trouble scoring against the quality of defensive pressure in the ACC, as evidenced by a conference record of 0-5-1. SU has managed only two goals through five conference games.

The lack of scoring consistency has allowed opponents to tailor their defensive pressure around SU’s most lethal scoring threats: Simon and freshman Stephanie Skilton. Both forwards have encountered frequent double teams as defenders strategically try to take them out of the attack.

Swarming defensive pressure has been a source of frustration for the Orange. Simon said players are finding it difficult to connect passes when defenders are aggressively closing out and leaving so little room to maneuver. The pressure has flustered SU into making repeated mistakes, such as squeezing the ball into tightly contested areas when players are double-teamed.

That’s why Wheddon has stressed about having an attack composed of multi-dimensional scoring threats.

“We need to get more production out of our front players,” Wheddon said. “We have to make sure that our midfielders, like Megan Hunsberger, are getting into the attack and are dangerous.”

Against Wake Forest, the Orange was able to find ways to deal with the irritating pressure by using creative combination plays and well-timed services into the box. Simon used her speed to find holes in the defense. However, SU had difficulty finishing those chances.

“If Erin is able to get free and make dive and runs like she did against Wake Forest, we’ve got to make sure that ball gets there,” Wheddon said. “We have to make the most of these opportunities.”

Sophomore forward Jackie Firenze said the forwards need to be “more hungry” inside the box, doing whatever they can to finish the play. The Orange is focused on being aggressive around the net so it can capitalize on scoring opportunities.

“Every practice is an opportunity for us to grow and fix our mistakes,” Firenze said. “We’re going out to win against Pittsburgh. We don’t have another thought on our mind.”