Volleyball

Syracuse struggles through difficult early schedule

Early-season struggles have been the story for Syracuse (6-12, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) through 18 games. Part of the slow start may be due to the strength of SU’s schedule.

But the players believe it’s not an excuse and that they can use the strong competition to get better.

“Each game there is always stuff to improve on,” freshman setter Erica Handley said. “Even if we win we are never going to have a perfect game.”

Syracuse has played 18 games thus far, winning only six of those. But more than halfway through the season, SU has already played five games against teams in the top 25. Those nine teams are a combined 67-17 on the season.

“We can learn a lot from them,” junior outside hitter Nicolette Serratore said. “They run really fast on offense. They are just very consistent in everything they do. We are looking at them and we know that’s what we need to work on to be one of those teams.”

Handley said that no matter the outcome of the game, there is always something to learn from playing against strong competition.

“It is definitely a lot tougher,” Serratore said, “we are up for the challenge. Playing new teams, you really don’t know what to expect until you watch the tape. It is definitely all new, but it’s a good change.”

The move to the ACC may have set the team back a bit. The ACC is a much more difficult conference to play in, head coach Leonid Yelin said.

The team dropped to 1-5 in the ACC this past weekend, but Yelin doesn’t believe that it is completely because they are outmatched.

“To dig out of this hole, it’s all about how we can perform,” Yelin said. “As a team, skills wise and the strategy that we are playing, we are there.”

But it seems the players enjoy the change. Serratore had the luxury of playing both in the Big East and now in the ACC, allowing her to see both conferences up close.

“I think it’s just making us better,” Serratore said. “Every time we lose we are learning a lesson and we are getting better. I think it’s helping the team improve.”

This weekend’s road stint will get a bit easier for the Orange. Syracuse will play the University of Maryland on Friday, and will travel to Pittsburgh to meet the Panthers on Sunday.

Luckily for the Orange, neither team is ranked in the top 25. One week removed from winning its first ever ACC game, Syracuse will look to build on that victory.

While the losses pile up on this tough schedule, the Orange is staying as positive as it can.

“Every time we come back it’s a new week,” Serratore said. “We practice and build up our confidence and get ready for the next week.”