Strongest link: Cafe Kubal stands strong in airport as business chains set to move in

Illustration by Andy Casadonte | Art Director

Students flying through the Syracuse Hancock International Airport should expect some changes in the coming months, with a new company set to take over food, beverage and retail concessions at the airport.

“It was time to take a look at the whole terminal,” said Christina Callahan, commissioner of aviation. The redesign of a centralized security checkpoint opened in May, according to a May 14 Post-Standard article. This security checkpoint was part of a $60 million renovation that began in 2011, according to the article.

The timing was right for a new concessions plan, she said, due to the March expiration of the current concessions contract with Delaware North Cos. This company has run the airport concessions for more than 20 years.

Following a request for proposals that closed on Sept. 10, Callahan said, the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority awarded a 15-year contract to Creative Food Group at the Oct. 11 board meeting.

Under the new arrangement, she said, a Johnny Rockets restaurant and New York Times bookstore will fill new venues around the airport’s redesigned security checkpoint. Restaurants including Dunkin’ Donuts, Jamba Juice, Middle Ages Brewery Company and a Market Express will replace existing venues, which she said include several cafés. But Café Kubal, a coffee brewery, will remain one of the only locally owned businesses in the airport.

While many categories were compared as the authority decided among multiple proposals, she said, the New York City-based Creative Food Group stood out for its creativity and combination of local and national brands. For example, Callahan noted the inclusion of the Middle Ages Brewing Company, which is based in Syracuse.

Although no contracts have been signed yet, Matt Godard, owner and CEO of Café Kubal, said the local coffee chain is likely to remain at the airport as well, helping to maintain the balance between local and national options.

Café Kubal has operated a kiosk in the new post-security area since May 15, he said, adding that the airport’s total retail sales increased by more than 30 percent after it opened. Café Kubal was set to expand to three more locations within the airport had Delaware North received a contract renewal, but Creative North’s proposal included no plans to maintain the Café Kubal kiosk.

Godard said he expected Café Kubal to remain at the airport in some capacity after conversations with representatives from the county legislature, CenterState CEO and Creative Food Group. There was also a strong community response online, in media and in stores, following news of the potential removal of the café from the airport.

“For us, it’s very good,” Godard said. “Not so great for Dunkin Donuts, but I can’t say I feel really bad for them.”

With Café Kubal open at the airport, Godard said he thought concessions at the airport would strike a good balance between local and national vendors. Without the café, he said, the only local representation would be in the brewery, which he said could not be enjoyed by people of all ages.

“I do think it’s important to keep local businesses in airports,” he said. “In particular our airport needs to have an expression of the uniqueness of our city.”

Construction for the new venues will take between six and nine months, Callahan said, with shops to be phased in so that not all will be up and running at the same time following the March expiration of the existing contract.