Ice Hockey

Kentucky native Blank becomes contributor for Syracuse

Hard worker. That’s been the one universal term that Morgan Blank’s coaches have used to describe the freshman forward.

“Morgan is one of the hardest working players that I have ever coached,” Blank’s former Pittsburgh Penguins Elite coach Kate Binnie said in an email to The Daily Orange. “She put in relentless hours at the gym getting stronger and faster.”

The work Blank has put in seems to have paid off as the Fort Mitchell, Ky. native is now a freshman playing Division I ice hockey at Syracuse. Kentucky, of course, is better known for its fried chicken than its development of hockey players. But, surprisingly, Blank grew up in a hockey family.

“My older brother and twin brother both played,” Blank said.

Two boys playing youth hockey is not that strange — even if they are playing in Kentucky. But a small southern girl like Blank getting into this winter sport was far from normal.

“My twin brother during tryouts one year didn’t want to try out,” Blank said. “And I’m like, ‘I’ll try out.’ And he then said, ‘Girls don’t play hockey.’”

That drive that pushed Blank to prove her brother wrong is the same drive that has fueled her these past few years. It’s the same drive that has earned her playing time as a freshman on a team with 12 other forwards.

“She’ll play,” Flanagan said. “She’ll definitely get some ice time.”

It may not be a starting role, but it’s certainly an opportunity, and Blank has shown throughout her career that all she needs is an opportunity.

She made the most out of that a year ago when her brother decided to not try out. She made the most of her spot on Binnie’s Penguins Elite squad, scoring 45 points on 24 goals and 21 assists during her senior year. And she’s making the most out of this one so far.

“(Blank’s) an incredibly great kid. She’s smiling all the time, and brings an incredibly great component to our locker room,” Flanagan said. “I’m pleasantly surprised with what she’s done in practice so far.”

Flangan even went as far as to compare the young Blank to senior captain Margot Scharfe, who has played in every game of her SU career and was named to the All-College Hockey America second team.

Blank and Scharfe are both primarily defensive forwards who have the ability to score when necessary.

“They’re both smart players, aggressive and work hard,” Flanagan said.

Binnie said that this past year, Blank has played for a men’s team as well as the Penguins. Every weekend, she would travel four hours to practice with the Penguins and one hour to practice with the men’s team.

“(Blank) always gives 100 percent. She never takes a game, period, or even a shift off,” Binnie said. “She will outwork anyone on the ice.”