Estime’s electric punt return against Georgia Tech could lead to increased role

Freshman Brisly Estime was the first name out of head coach Scott Shafer’s mouth when asked about the positives he could take away from Syracuse’s 56-0 loss to Georgia Tech on Saturday.

“He’s going to be a real good player for us,” Shafer said during the Atlantic Coast Conference coaches’ teleconference Wednesday.

Estime showcased his straightaway speed on a 43-yard punt return late in the blowout loss. He returned two punts and a kickoff in total, making his debut in the return game — a reliable, but unexciting aspect of the Orange’s season through seven games.

So should Syracuse fans expect to see Estime back deep when SU hosts Wake Forest on Nov. 2?

“Maybe,” Shafer said. “I do have confidence that Brisly can be a guy, but I think we’ll kind of just see how things go in practice, and see the sway of the game and the game plan as well.”

Shafer said he’s been very pleased with the steady play of punt returner Ritchy Desir this year. He has displayed the ability to make correct fair catch calls, as well as haul in punts on the move. That saved yardage isn’t lost on Shafer.

But with George Morris II still sidelined with an upper-body injury, it may be more likely that Estime is put in on kickoff returns.

Or, perhaps, an increased role as an H-back in the Orange offense.

“We do have big plans for him from the offensive point of view as well,” Shafer said. “I think when a young player finds confidence regardless of if it’s on offense, defense, the kicking game, you feel good about his progress because it’s his mental state that’s as important as anything.

“You can just see that he’s anxious to get back on the field and confident that he can help us make plays, whether it be in the return game or on offense more.”