Pulp

Broad strokes: Students display abstract, vibrant art through on-campus exhibit

Drawing inspiration from the subconscious, two students have created an emotional and thought-provoking exhibit that brings life to the tranquil atmosphere of the fourth floor of the Shaffer Art Building.

Artwork by Samantha Glevick, a senior painting major, and Paul Weiner, a junior painting and political science major, is on display in the Michael Sickler Gallery in an exhibit titled “Double Vision.” The exhibit opened Sunday and is on display until Nov. 9, available for daily public viewing from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. There will be a reception and a chance to meet the artists from 6-8 p.m. on Nov. 2.

This is not the first time Glevick has had her work showcased around the Syracuse area. In this year alone, her art has been displayed in Syracuse at XL Projects, Syracuse Stage and the SU Coyne Gallery.

She said her knack for art began in her childhood, but it wasn’t until the beginning of her high school career that she realized art was her true calling.

“[Art] takes me on a journey,” Glevick said.

She said her art digs deep into her subconscious, to the point where she does not know where the sensations come from. She just paints what comes to her, drawing inspiration from past experiences and using painting as a coping mechanism.

Those who view the “Double Vision” exhibition may think they are actually seeing double, but Glevick said she did this purposely. Her paintings, titled “Options,” are called diptychs — two works of art created with the intention of being shown next to each other. Glevick said her goal in one piece was to make the subject’s shadowy face appear more prominent to the viewer.

“By doing this, I’ve allowed the viewer to align themselves with not only the perspective of the hallway, but also the perspective of the figure in the space,” Glevick said.

She said her art stands out because she gives her viewers a taste of a different perspective: her own. She also uses attention-grabbing red lighting in her works to draw viewers in.

Glevick said she draws inspiration from painter and graphic novelist Kent Williams, and if she were to collaborate with any artist in the future, she would team up with him. She said through the years, Williams has been a major influence on her art. Glevick said Williams’ abstract art and her own would complement one another.

The second artist featured in the exhibit is Paul Weiner, who discovered his niche in art about four or five years ago by creating comic book-style art. Since then, he has begun working on more abstract pieces.

Weiner said utilizing repetition and connecting on a personal level with people help inspire his artwork. His works featured in “Double Vision” are full of color, contrasted by dark canvases with repetitive linear patterns.

“It shows different perspectives and a different way of viewing art,” Weiner said.

Just like some of Glevick’s artwork, Weiner has had art displayed at XL Projects in Syracuse, but he has also been in exhibits around the world. Some of his pieces were featured in a group show entitled “Common Language” at Leeds College of Art Gallery in Leeds, United Kingdom, and were shown in “New York to London” at HOUSE Gallery in London.

The two artists have many individual pieces in the “Double Vision” exhibit, but they also created a combined sculpture piece. With Weiner’s linear design infused with Glevick’s red flare, she said the two were able to remain true to their own artistic styles while still collaborating.

The student artists decided to showcase their work together because they use a similar color palette, but their works share a deeper connection. The meanings of their works are both created on a psychological level and deal with the subconscious.

“Our collaboration seemed effortless in the sense that we both work in the same studio, and together we agreed that our sculptures would create an aesthetically pleasing installation that would replicate our styles of working,” Glevick said in an email.

The two said there are many opportunities for SU artists to have their work displayed for the public, and Glevick encourages everyone who aspires to one day be showcased in a gallery.

Said Glevick: “Do what you’re passionate about, and follow your gut.”