Three archivists publish SU photo history book

Three Syracuse University archivists have published a photographic history book of the university, spanning more than 140 years since the university’s founding in 1870 up until 2012.

Titled “Syracuse University,” the book was created when Arcadia Publishing approached Ed Galvin, director of archives and records management at SU, about 18 months ago, said co-author Margaret Mason. The finished book, which went on sale Aug. 26, has more than 200 captioned photographs, commemorating the student strike in 1970, among other events in SU’s history. The book also contains various shots of the campus through the years, said Mason, an archivist who worked on the project.

After being approached by Arcadia Publishing about the project, Galvin then asked his co-workers Mason and Mary O’Brien, who are also archivists, to help with the project, not wanting it to go to another institution, said Mason.

“In the thick of it, we were working at least a couple of hours a day,” she said on researching for the book.

Mason said the book is organized chronologically by chapter, containing images of special events, colleges and schools, chancellors, student activities and traditions, athletics and campus buildings.

Most of the pictures were pulled from the archives, she said.

The three archivists split the research: Galvin oversaw special events and colleges, Mason worked with material relating to chancellors and student activities and traditions, and O’Brien covered athletics and campus buildings, Mason said.

While it’s a history book, she said the archivists also wanted to touch on a variety of themes, as well, including how campus and student life have changed during the years.

To highlight this, each chapter includes a picture of how the campus looked that year, she said.

The campus photos include the 1970 student strike. The strike took place in response to the four Kent State University students killed by the Ohio National Guard troops.

During the strike, SU students barricaded entrances to campus, broke windows, staged a peaceful march downtown and staged a sit-in at the Tolley Humanities Building.

The book also features photos from the 1970 football boycott, which resulted from the controversy surrounding the “Syracuse Eight” — when a group of black football players quit the team, Mason said.

Even though the book is focused on SU, the archivists were hoping to reach out to a wider audience in the Central New York area because the university is so iconic, said Mason.
In the captions, the archivists attempted to include context for events and student traditions so that even if someone had not gone to SU, that they would hopefully be able to understand, she said.

Last Wednesday, the DeWitt Barnes & Noble hosted a book signing for the three archivists, Mason said. Although the bookstore wasn’t “flooded with people,” she said they had 10 people within two hours, which kept them busy.

In addition to the book signing, Galvin has also appeared on Channel 9 News and Weekend Today in Central New York with Laura Hand. O’Brien appeared on Channel 9’s Bridge Street program, according to the SU Archives Facebook page.

Mason said the archivists are hoping to have another signing in the SU Bookstore, which they hope will draw a larger audience, Mason said.