Sex & Health

Thaw: Create perfect foreplay playlist to enhance intimate experience

A lot goes into the art of making the perfect playlist. You have to keep up with music trends, of course. Mix the old with the new, obviously. Know your venue, know your audience, stay on point with your theme and of course, sequence emotions appropriately.

For instance, I put a lot of effort into my workout playlists. But while you may not care what you run to, that doesn’t mean you can’t put forth at least some effort into a playlist for the bedroom.

Most of us know there is nothing wrong with a little ambiance from time to time. And while you can have a certain night in mind — candles, soft lighting and cliché Marvin Gaye or Miguel playing in the background — you’ll find there’s a foolproof way to sequence the best foreplaylist.

First, start with something random (but don’t set your entire music library to random — we all know that story of your friend gettin’ it on when “Circle of Life” starts to play). So make it random, but not romantic. Even a little hip-hop will work. We’re not trying to force the moment here. Enjoy your time with your partner at this stage, and relax.

Now, move on to real hip-hop to get a rhythm on your mind. Include some Atmosphere, People Under the Stairs or Jurassic 5 to your playlist. Again, no need to force romanticism, but as you begin to structure your playlist, you’ll start to think more about tracks to play next.

From hip-hop tracks, move into some solo, acoustic guitar songs. We want a quiet atmosphere so you can chat a bit. The foreplay is somewhere in the acoustic set, and the music, henceforth, will really establish the emotional mood. Think John Mayer’s “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.”

Next, add your thoughtfully chosen, soul tracks like Ella Fitzgerald, Alicia Keys and John Legend. Alternately, injecting some soulful guitar, like Tedeschi Trucks Band or Ben Taylor, will work as well. Here you can get creative, but always remember, now comes the emotion. Think build-up.

Now hit your “orgasm” set. Depending on your abilities, this could be anywhere from one to two songs. We’ve all got those songs. Feel free to indulge your rhythm and blues or indie tastes. My roommate, for example, is fond of the upbeat Kings of Leon track, “Sex on Fire.”

Then, assuming “orgasms galore,” move back into the solo acoustic work. That means guitar or piano, just keep the instruments real — give Jamie Cullum’s cover of “Don’t Stop the Music” a listen.

Finally, pair your foreplaylist with a fine bottle of red wine — by which I mean a cheap $12.99 bottle — and you’re set.

Jillian Thaw is a magazine, newspaper and online journalism masters student. Her column appears every Wednesday in Pulp, and 97 percent of her playlists are better suited for running and lifting. You can email her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jathaw.