School certifies students to participate in personalized nutrition consultation program

The David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics is now offering personalized nutrition consultation to students of Syracuse University and SUNY-ESF, as well as faculty, staff and city residents.

The consultations are part of a class for senior and graduate students in Falk. Students receive training and certification during the first half of NSD 512: “Nutrition Counseling,” and can choose to provide nutrition consultation to the community during the second half. Registered dieticians will monitor the student consultants via email.

The program costs $25 for students at SU and the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry. For faculty and staff from either school, it costs $35 and for members of the Syracuse community it costs $40.

The consultation involves two face-to-face appointments and two follow-up emails. The client and student consultant will meet twice in a quiet, private location at the client’s convenience, said Tanya Horacek, an associate professor of nutrition science and dietetics. The consultation will then continue with two follow-up emails.

Before the consultation begins, clients fill out forms to create a lifestyle profile and match them with student consultants.

“What’s nice about our program is we take a lifestyles approach, so we’re not going to say, ‘Here are all your problems and here’s a perfect solution,’ but we’re going to help you figure out a reasonable plan to put things in place,” Horacek said. “It’s all tailored.”

Appointments are arranged at the client’s convenience from late October to early December, Horacek said. Clients can sign up now by emailing Cindy Wiestling, administrative assistant for the department of public health, food studies and nutrition.

Clients who complete the program and evaluate their student consultants will also be entered into a raffle for one of two baskets filled with local food.

“It’s a great way to get some nutrition consultation,” Wiestling said.

She added that it helps one develop a healthier lifestyle.

Horacek, the associate professor of nutrition science and dietetics, said she started the program 15 years ago and has published research on its effectiveness.

“I have proof that the students can learn this model, and they can implement it and that it does help the clients with the changes they make,” she said. “We’ve been tracking over the past 15 years and clients are really very happy.”

Horacek said the program benefits the students as well as the clients.

“I love how the students grow and change,” she said. “They really gain confidence, they get excited about the field, they get excited to really work with people on a different level, not just giving them facts but really connecting.”