connective corridor

Phases 2,3 to begin late October with continued facade improvement program, construction

The Connective Corridor will enter phases two and three in late October, beginning with construction, building renovations and extended partnerships with local arts organizations.

The Connective Corridor, introduced by Syracuse University Chancellor Nancy Cantor in 2005, aims to connect the university and downtown area through a $42.5 million, three-phase transportation and streetscape improvement project. Phase one was completed last fall, while phases two and three are slated for completion in November 2015.

Phases two and three will happen simultaneously, with renovations being made from Forman Park on East Genesee Street and extending downtown to Firefighter’s Memorial Park on South State Street, said Linda Dickerson Hartsock, who oversees the corridor as director of SU’s Office of Community Engagement and Economic Development.

Construction will begin in Forman Park, where renovations will look similar to those made on East Genesee Street already, such as bike racks, bus stops, brick pavers and distinctive Connective Corridor design elements such as signs and green bike lanes, Hartsock said.

Beneath the pavement, there will be green infrastructure components such as rain gardens, which will manage, harvest and reuse nearly six million gallons of water, she said. In addition, 175 new trees will be planted in the area, she said.

“The street itself will literally be a new street, from building to building,” she said.

The Connective Corridor will also continue to provide grants for external renovations.

As part of the current round of the Facade Improvement Program, 56 buildings have applied to receive these facade grants, Hartsock said. The grant recipients will be chosen within the coming weeks, she said.

The Facade Improvement Program creates opportunities for private investors to get involved with improving the area by purchasing and renovating “run-down buildings,” she said.

Laura Ryan, general manager of Strong Hearts Café, said local businesses are expecting to see facade improves in the Forman Park area. There are several run-down businesses in the area that still need improvements, she said.

Improvements such as streetlights have helped customers feel “more comfortable” venturing into the area the cafe is located in, Ryan said.

Ryan said the city had made continuous improvements to Forman Park across the street from the cafe, such as new benches, updated landscaping and a new fence for a parking lot near the cafe.

Partnering with those connected in the community, such as business owners, has been helpful in informing Connective Corridor planners what really benefits the city, Hartsock said.

“We get excited about that stuff,” Hartsock said. “Those things are in many ways just as rewarding and just as important as building bike lines and infrastructure. They have to work together and go together.”