Pulp

Off the beaten path: Picturesque town of Skaneateles presents hidden opportunities for weekend excursion

Just an easy 30 minutes from downtown Syracuse sits the hidden gem of the Finger Lakes region: the small, quaint town of Skaneateles.

Located on the north end of the Skaneateles Lake, the area has a small-town feel while still offering everything from dinner cruises to shops overlooking the water. The town is centered on a main street, which stretches for three blocks and is lined with antique shops, restaurants, ice cream parlors and a pub.

“Everyone works together to run business,” said Ryan Kavanaugh, a resident of Skaneateles. “We all depend on each other.”

Kavanaugh works as a bartender at The LakeHouse Pub, situated on the main drag at 6 W. Genesee St. The pub offers live music on the weekends and happy hour on Fridays from 5-7 p.m. It boasts a sizable menu throughout the day and evening.

“We’re one of the only legit bars here,” Kavanaugh said. “Everywhere else is just a restaurant, so we get big crowds at night.”

Besides the bar, the street is filled with independent restaurants, most notably the Bluewater Grill, which is perched on the side of the water and offers stunning views of the lake. Bluewater has an extensive menu of seafood and traditional grill food, all served at a reasonable price.

For dessert, Doug’s Ice Cream offers some of the most popular scoops in town. Located just off the main street, the store is only large enough for about one or two customers at a time.

Aside from the dining options, Skaneateles Lake is easily accessible for picnics or scenic post-dinner strolls. The entire area offers photographic views of the sunset.

“I just like the peacefulness of it on the water. It seems very quaint,” said Annie Stuchell, a visitor from Buffalo. She also said she appreciated that the city doesn’t have a McDonald’s or Starbucks, which adds to the classic, small-town feel.

The journey there affords refreshing views of rural farmlands, as well as shops and small produce stands along the way that can provide breaks during the drive. Skaneateles is also reachable by Centro bus, which offers a daily route to and from Syracuse.

Consider spending a nice, quiet evening with friends in Skaneateles this weekend. Or, for the perfect date night, pack the car and head out for the evening. From dining on the water to sharing drinks at The LakeHouse to a late night stroll on the pier, Skaneateles seems to have it all.

Contact Luke: [email protected]