Women's Soccer

New Zealand-native Skilton brings unique background to Syracuse as freshman

Spencer Bodian | Asst. Photo Editor

Forward Stephanie Skilton, a New Zealand native, honed her skills playing against boys in her youth.

Stephanie Skilton was in a league of her own.

Growing up in Auckland, New Zealand, Skilton caught her first glimpse of soccer at the age of 4 when she watched her 8-year-old sister Erica play from the sidelines. Soon Skilton began playing in the more competitive boys’ league, where she was the only girl on the field.

“I was a bit of a tomboy myself, so I was playing with the boys, roughing it,” Skilton said. “Boys can play a lot faster, and they’re a little more physical, so I tried to play with them as long as I could. That experience definitely helped me.”

Skilton, a freshman, has made a resounding first impression at the college level as a starting forward for Syracuse (3-1). She isn’t the most vocal player, but her international soccer experience in New Zealand allowed her to lead by example. With her combination of size, strength and skill, Skilton possesses all the attributes to become a standout player for the Orange this season.

Skilton wasted little time bursting onto the college scene and quickly proved her potential as a goal scorer. In SU’s first four games, the freshman forward tallied seven points and scored two game-winning goals against Hofstra and Colgate.

Standing at 5 feet, 9 inches, Skilton is the second tallest player on the Orange roster. While playing at Papakura High School in Auckland, she was heavily recruited by the SU coaching staff because of her strong physique, which stood out on film.

International experience also played a vital role in the recruiting process. Throughout high school, Skilton was a member of the New Zealand national teams, and played in the U-17 and U-20 world cups. There, she crafted her skills as a reliable striker.

Head coach Phil Wheddon, who also coached U.S. players on the national stage, said that Skilton’s transition to American soccer was made easier because of her time spent playing at such a high level in New Zealand.

“When you bring an international player in, there are differences – adjusting to culture is one of them,” Wheddon said. “Stephanie sees the game one step ahead, and that’s a tribute to her coaching in New Zealand.”

Although preseason didn’t start until early August, Skilton arrived at Syracuse on June 29for the Summer Start program. In her free time, she trained with the strength and conditioning coaches to prepare for the upcoming season. In Wheddon’s eyes, Skilton has adjusted well to the American game, which features a faster, more physical style of play.

She developed this skill by playing in the boys’ league at a young age, relying on her physicality to hold off defenders on the attack. Now, Skilton will use that experience to focus on adjusting to the rigors of college soccer.

“The American game is far more athletic compared to other countries,” Wheddon said. “(Skilton) has made great strides in a short amount of time. She’s proving she’s a goal scorer.”

Skilton is a dangerous player around the net because of her ability to finish scoring chances. On Friday against Albany, she showed that ability by recognizing a lob pass, soaring through the air and drilling a header past the left side of the goalie.

“We know when the ball is at her feet or at her head, something dangerous is going to happen,” said assistant coach Neel Bhattacharjee, who is also the recruiting coordinator for SU. “She adds a terrific dimension to our attack.”

As Skilton continues to develop her agility and quickness at the college level, she will become an invaluable part of the SU attack. Although she is quiet on the field, her physical play resonates much louder.

“She’s not the most vocal, but as time has gone on, she’s become more comfortable and more confident,” Bhattacharjee said. “More of her voice is coming out, which is cool, because we love her accent.”