FoodWorks expands food selection, improves look

Jessica Sheldon | Contriburing Photographer

Yiting Zhang and Jinru Zhao, browse products at FoodWorks. The convenience store underwent renovations during the summer.

This past summer, the FoodWorks convenience store in the basement of Graham Dining Center underwent a massive renovation.

The last renovation of the lower level of Graham was several years ago, prompting the staff to upgrade the look of FoodWorks and the Junction Snack Bar, and also make their appliances energy efficient, said David George, director of Syracuse University’s Food Services. The renovations include an increase in products and an improvement to the store’s appearance.

The overhaul of FoodWorks took about three months, George said, beginning after commencement in May and finishing in mid-August.

He added some of the major renovations include the removal of a stairwell to open the area and connect the Junction Cafe to FoodWorks. Other additions include new lighting, a new ceiling, a refinished concrete floor and lounge style seating, he said.

“The outside used to look like a dump,” said Elizabeth Armstrong, a cashier at the Junction, when describing the area pre-renovation. “The seats were ripped and two of our tables were broken, so we only had seating in here for about five or six people.”

Armstrong said although the Junction has improved aesthetically, the facility still lacks updated cooking equipment.

Along with a new look, the store also stocks new products, in addition to convenience store staples like snacks and frozen foods.

Products sold by FoodWorks now include healthier and special dietary options, including fresh produce, dairy and vegetarian and gluten-free products.

Additionally, the store carries toiletries, cleaning supplies and even basic office supplies.  These new choices have come at the request of students, said Laura Singer, a cashier at FoodWorks.

“We had a survey to ask students what they wanted,” Singer said. “So we definitely have a lot more products that students were looking to have that we didn’t have before.”

Since the facility’s reopening and redesign, there has been an increase in traffic compared to last year, George said.

The Junction is especially popular late at night, as Graham Dining Hall closes at 7:30 p.m. on weekdays and 6:30 p.m. on weekends, according to its website.

“There’s normally a rush between 7:30 and 8:00 for everybody who missed dinner, and then again from 11:30 to midnight,” said Armstrong, the Junction cashier.

With its updated look, FoodWorks has been popular with students living on the Mount.

“I like it because there’s the area where people can socialize and eat, and then there’s much more variety, and that also brings customers,” said Singer, the cashier at FoodWorks.

Tony Lai, a senior finance major, said the changes to FoodWorks are a good thing and that he loves the new design.

Said Lai: “I think the renovation has improved the customer experience a lot.”