Women and Gender

Bethel: Rise in stay-at-home fathers proves to reshape gender divide

Recent years have brought what many consider to be a peculiar change into the dynamic of our culture: the growing presence of the stay-at-home father. Over the last decade, the emerging trend has slowly crept its way further into our societal norms. Met by skepticism and an overall doubt of existence, the stay-at-home dad is disrupting the discourse of our culture that declares mothers as a family’s primary caretaker.

Yes, it’s true. More fathers are staying home to take over the role of primary caretaker, while their wives step into the position of breadwinner. Abnormal? Not according to research compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau, which claims the number of stay-at-home fathers has doubled to more than 189,000 in the last decade.

Though the numbers are fact, these statistics have received a lot of feedback that questions the legitimacy of calling this increased percentage a trend. Many articles posted online claim these statistics have been overhyped. They argue stay-at-home moms still dominate the majority of American households, and that the rise in male caregivers does not hold any real significance.

Those who object about the numbers are not wrong. The female to male ratio, in terms of staying home as a primary caregiver, is still skewed greatly. However, though women continue to make up the majority, the increase in stay-at-home fathers shouldn’t be ignored. The focus needs to be on the fact that their presence has doubled in a short period of only 10 years.

The intrigue of this rising number has attracted numerous news sources, most of which approach the topic by interviewing these fathers. In what seems to be mainly from a curiosity standpoint, most articles, including one by The New York Times entitled, “Just Wait Until Your Mother Gets Home,” focus on questioning the father’s decision to leave his career and focus on home life.

As it turns out, these fathers’ reasons aren’t as radical as society perceives them to be. They are driven by the same motives women are: to spend more time with their children. According to Newsday.com, 46 percent of fathers say they feel they don’t get to spend enough time with their kids, as opposed to only 23 percent for mothers.

In their perspective, when the majority of income is being funneled into afterschool care, they think it is crucial to consider the alternative parent. And in considering the alternative, they open up the discussion about a father stepping down from work to care for the kids, rather than the mother.

Our culture has shaped us to believe that males are a family’s financial foundation. While this may be true for certain households, it is not a universal fact. Many home situations have both a father and a mother with secure jobs. When it comes to starting a family, it is natural to have to re-strategize and consider what the change will mean for both partners.

In the past this may have been a no-brainer; moms stay home. But, times are changing, and with that shift, it is clear we are beginning to see a trend emerge. Doubt it, that’s up to you, but ignoring it won’t work.

At this point it may still be small scale, but if it continues to develop at this rate, we will certainly see an effect on the divide in genders in the future.

Paris Bethel is a junior advertising major. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].