The Daily Orange’s unofficial positional breakdown: No. 3: Kickers and punters

Football beat writers David Wilson, Stephen Bailey and Trevor Hass are counting down the days until Syracuse football opens its season against Penn State on Aug. 31. They’ll show you what you can expect from each position as the Orange moves toward its Atlantic Coast Conference debut, with the top position showcased in the DO’s annual season preview guide to be released on Aug. 29.

No. 10: Kick returners/punt returners

No. 9: The secondary

No. 8: The defensive line

No. 7: Tight ends

No. 6: The quarterbacks

No. 5: Wide receivers

No. 4: Offensive line

Maybe it’s a telling sign of what’s in store for Syracuse this season that the kickers and punters rank so highly on this countdown. But maybe it’s also a testament to those kickers and punters.

On a team without much experience, these specialists are an exception. Ross Krautman will be the starting kicker for the fourth straight year. Jonathan Fisher served adequately as the starting punter the year before. Both Ryan Norton and Riley Dixon have played for the Orange and could be counted on as reliable options.

Maybe it is the latter.

Key returning players

It’s more about the experience than the actual production. That, plus the potential.

Krautman struggled last year, making just 15-of-23 field goals, but drilled 18-of-19 as a freshman. In training camp, he’s been almost flawless when he’s been on the field.

He missed SU’s scrimmage in Fort Drum, N.Y., with a slightly strained groin that sidelined him for a week. Until then, he’d drilled almost every field goal he’d attempted, and now, Shafer said, he’s back to health.

Fisher also struggled last year, too, with an average distance of just 38.4 yards per punt, but this will be his third season playing significant time for Syracuse.

On kickoff duty is Norton, who appeared in all 13 games last year as a freshman and averaged 61.2 yards per kickoff. Dixon also appeared in two games last year, punting the ball three times.

Reasons for optimism

The experience, and the evident talent.

Norton, Krautman and Fisher were all well regarded prospects at their positions in high school, and all have at least shown flashes of excellence in college.

Norton has struggled on field goals during training camp, but that shouldn’t be an issue. He still has a big enough leg to be an excellent kickoff specialist, while Krautman should be a solid option on field goals and PATs. He’s gotten worse each season at Syracuse, but has arguably never been striking the ball better.

Fisher also dropped off from his freshman year to his sophomore year, but he’s at least a reliable option with two years of experience under his belt. Dixon also gives them a bit of depth that could spell Fisher if he struggles.

Reasons for concern

Though Krautman and Fisher have been reliable over the years, they both had slightly down seasons in 2012. Krautman had his worst statistical season after churning out two gems his freshman and sophomore years. He missed eight field goals on the season, failing to convert both of the field goals he attempted against Stony Brook and Rutgers and only making 1-of-3 against Cincinnati.

Fisher, meanwhile, averaged one fewer yard per punt and only had two touchbacks. If Fisher is injured, the next backup is Dixon, who only has three career punts.

Krautman and Fisher are pretty dependable. Other than the lack of depth and potential injuries — Krautman’s preseason groin injury is something to keep an eye on — there isn’t much to fret about in the kicking game.

The verdict

The kicking game should be pretty smooth sailing or Syracuse. Krautman and Fisher both have experience and have looked sharp in the preseason. Don’t expect Krautman to drill field goals from more than 48 yards out — Syracuse has usually been pooch punting from that range in practice — but when he’s in his range, he’s usually money.

Grade: A-

Check back at DailyOrange.com later today to see what position comes in at No. 2. The top position will be revealed in Thursday’s football guide.