Skaneateles native Green joins mix under center

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the team for which Ryan Nassib plays was misstated. Nassib signed with the New York Giants earlier this summer. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

Add one more talented quarterback to the mix.

Skaneateles, N.Y., native Troy Green is Syracuse’s newest shot caller. Green accepted a scholarship to play for Central Florida in January of 2012, according to The Post-Standard, but now he’s back in his hometown looking for a new start. The 6-foot, 184-pound quarterback appeared on Syracuse’s updated roster Wednesday afternoon and is wearing No. 7.

“Very talented young man in Troy,” Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer said on Wednesday. “He’s going to add depth. It’s just great to have him in the program. I think you guys know, I’m real big on family orientation.”

Green’s father, Tim, starred at defensive end for Syracuse in the early 1980s. A two-time All-American, Green played eight seasons for the Atlanta Falcons and coached at Skaneateles High School for two years before resigning amidst allegations of recruiting violations.

During his press conference on Wednesday, Shafer discussed the importance he places on family ties. He mentioned Macky MacPherson, the grandson of Syracuse’s legendary coach Dick MacPherson, and Joe Nassib, the cousin of former Syracuse and current New York Giants quarterback Ryan Nassib.

“I think anytime you have groups of individuals that have grown up together for a long time,” Shafer said, “it helps in that atmosphere.”