Cornerback Whigham impresses on 1st day of camp

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer tried to loosen up the crowd at his press conference outside Manley Field House on Monday evening with an early joke.

“Let me guess,” Shafer said. “You guys want to know how the defensive back battle’s going, right? Is that the first question?”

Rather than addressing the quarterback situation, Shafer started by talking about his secondary, mentioning that sophomore Julian Whigham impressed during the first day of practice. He said Whigham, currently slotted behind senior Keon Lyn at one of the cornerback positions, intercepted a pass down the sideline.

“I was really pleased to see that,” Shafer said, “so he’s putting some heat on Ri’Shard (Anderson) and Keon Lyn, as well as Brandon Reddish.”

Whigham appeared in 11 games during his freshman season, recording three tackles against Connecticut and one in Syracuse’s Pinstripe Bowl win over West Virginia. The 2011 Sun Sentinel Big Schools Defensive Player of the Year, Whigham was one of four SU true freshmen to play last season.

Remembrance Week 2014

From the shadows

This year, the Remembrance Scholars created silhouettes of the 35 SU students who died in the Pan Am Flight 103 bombing and placed them throughout campus in locations where the victims would have most likely hung out. Read more »