Coleman sparks Syracuse to win, Orange sweeps Canada

DaJuan Coleman scored 26 points in 26 minutes, propelling Syracuse to a 73-50 win over the University of Ottawa at Montpetit Hall in Ottawa on Saturday.

Coleman shot 10-for-13 from the field and 6-for-10 from the free-throw line, adding seven rebounds and dominating the undersized Gee-Gees in the paint. The win put the finishing touches on a successful four-game road trip as the Orange knocked off all of the Canadian schools it faced.

After eking by Carleton 69-65 in overtime Friday, SU had an easier time against Ottawa. The Orange used an 18-0 run in the second half to pull away from the pesky Gee-Gees. Though Ottawa hit just 26.4 percent of its shots in the first half, Syracuse only held a 34-28 lead at the break.

Ottawa hit four 3-pointers in the first half but then entered a nasty dry spell, scoring just one bucket in 11 minutes while the Orange pulled away.

Rakeem Christmas chipped in 12 points and 11 rebounds. He didn’t record a double-double all of last season.

C.J. Fair sat out for Syracuse with a bruised lower left leg, an injury suffered against McGill University on Wednesday that caused him to miss the following game against Bishop’s University. Fair played against Carleton University on Friday, scoring 11 points and adding eight rebounds before re-aggravating the leg injury in a scramble for a loose ball. He missed the final 11 minutes on Friday.