Men's basketball

Syracuse’s Grant a finalist for USA U19 team

Syracuse forward Jerami Grant is one of 16 finalists for the 2013 USA Basketball Under-19 World Championship team.

The roster will be narrowed down to 12 before it leaves on June 19 to train for three days at the Washington Wizards’ practice facility in Washington, D.C, where the team will train twice a day. The 2013 FIBA U19 World Championship will take place in Prague, Czech Republic, from June 24 through July 6.

The USA Basketball Men’s Developmental National Team Committee selected the finalists, who were born on or after Jan. 1, 1994. Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim is part of the committee.

Grant is coming off his freshman season with the Orange, in which he started nine of SU’s 40 games and averaged 3.9 points and 3.0 rebounds per game.

The other finalists include Villanova’s Ryan Arcidiacono, Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell and Duke’s Rasheed Sulaimon. The team consists of two rising college juniors, 10 rising sophomores, two graduating high school seniors and two rising high school seniors.

The team’s head coach is Florida’s Billy Donovan, and his assistants are Virginia’s Tony Bennett and Virginia Commonwealth’s Shaka Smart. Last year, Donovan led the USA under-18 team to a gold medal in the FIBA Americas U18 Championships.