Syracuse picks up faceoff specialist for Class of 2014

Less than a month after being overpowered by Duke faceoff specialist Brendan Fowler in the national championship, Syracuse may have found its answer to the ongoing problem at the X — only he won’t arrive for another year.

Max Parker, a rising senior at Lake Highland Preparatory School in Orlando, Fla., committed to the Orange on Saturday, the Orlando Sentinel reported. Parker won almost 75 percent of his faceoffs as a junior for state champion Lake Highland. SU hasn’t had a player lead the team in faceoff wins and win at least 50 percent of his faceoffs since Danny Brennan won 214 in 2008.

Midfielder Chris Daddio led Syracuse with 77 faceoff wins in 2012 and 115 in 2013. He will likely reprise his role as the Orange’s top faceoff man in 2014, his senior season. SU won just 9-of-30 faceoffs in the national title game against the Blue Devils and 24-of-91 overall in four NCAA tournament games.

Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn draws inspiration from roots, mother with Michigan State

On Friday at 10:07 p.m., when seventh-seeded Michigan State takes on No. 3 seed Oklahoma in the Carrier Dome, the point guard’s unexpected path to prominence on college basketball’s biggest stage will continue. The freshman entered MSU’s starting lineup for good in early February, which might be one of the lesser surprising things that have happened in his life. Read more »