Syracuse lands 4 on Phil Steele’s preseason All-ACC teams

Four Syracuse players, three from the defense and one from the offense, were named to Phil Steele’s preseason All-Atlantic Coast Conference teams.

Dyshawn Davis highlighted the group with a first-team selection. The linebacker started all 13 games for the Orange last season, recording 69 tackles and a pair of fumble recoveries, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Davis missed all of spring practice with a shoulder injury, but is not expected to miss any time during the upcoming season.

Fellow linebacker Marquis Spruill was named to the third team. He recorded 65 tackles last season with a pair of sacks and nine tackles for a loss. Defensive tackle Jay Bromley rounded out the list for defensive players with a fourth-team honor. He started 10 games last season, racking up 39 tackles and 5.5 for a loss.

Jerome Smith was the lone SU player from the offensive side of the ball to be honored. He was named to the second team. The running back carried the ball 264 times for 1,171 yards and three touchdowns last season while splitting carries with Prince-Tyson Gulley.

Syracuse’s four all-conference selections are tied with Virginia and North Carolina State for 11th and ahead of only Maryland in the ACC. Florida State led the way with 19 selections, followed by the Orange’s first ACC opponent Clemson, which placed 12 on the teams.

Steele’s company, Phil Steele Productions, publishes the annual magazine Phil Steele’s College Football Preview.