Marasco wins Big East midfielder of the year, 5 take all-conference honors

JoJo Marasco won Big East midfielder of the year Wednesday as he and four Syracuse teammates were named all-Big East, too.

Marasco has led the Orange’s fluid attack this season, averaging 3.36 points per game. He also leads SU with 47 points and 30 goals. His next helper will help him pass Brad Kotz’s for second-most assists in a single season. Marasco, a senior, also earned first-team all-Big East honors unanimously. Marasco is joined by defender Brian Megill, midfielders Luke Cometti and Matt Harris and attack, Derek Maltz, in making all-Big East.

Votes were cast by the league’s seven head coaches. No coach could vote for his own players.

Maltz and Cometti are tied for the team lead in goals with 24 apiece. Coaches voted Maltz to second-team all-Big East while Cometti was voted to the first team. Cometti has starred, crashing the net for feeds from Marasco as opposing defenses try to clamp down Maltz and the rest of SU’s offense.

Harris, the only SU junior aside from Maltz among the bunch, joins Maltz on the second team. Harris has featured as the Orange’s top ground-ball winner with 37, winning loose possessions from the wing on faceoffs and as a long-stick defensive midfielder. Megill trails by one.

Megill directs the 19th-best defense in the country. Syracuse surrenders just 9.29 goals per game on average.

The Orange heads to Villanova, Pa. for a rematch with Notre Dame Thursday. SU beat then-No. 1 UND 10-4 in the Meadowlands Saturday, vaulting the team up to No. 3 in the national rankings. Syracuse enters the Big East tournament as the No. 2 seed and will face the winner of Villanova-Georgetown in the final Saturday if it beats the Fighting Irish again.